Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create Service Desk Customer

Gary Thompson April 6, 2014

I am trying to create a Service Desk Customer.
I created a new user in JIRA which by default gets added to the 'users' group.
The 'users' group by default belongs to the Service Desk Team project role which by default gives them access to 'Service Desk in JIRA'. I don't want that, I just want them to be Service Desk Customers who can see the customer portal and not JIRA projects etc.
How do I get around the fact that users can't be removed from the 'users' group because they need it to be able to log in but the 'users' group gives them access to the Service Desk Team project role which gives them privileges I don't want them to have.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2014

Hi Gary,

Jira Service Desk runs on top of Jira and requires Project Permissions to do Create, View, etc. If you remove a user from those permissions, they won't be able to Create or View Service Desk issues either. The Service Desk Customer Portal hides the Jira functionality for users but they will still have access to it.

Now, for having other users group with Jira Usage permission that are not in the 'users' group, you could create a separate 'users2' group and add it to Jira Global Permissions -> Use Jira. Then you remove them from the 'users' group and when they log in they will not see any default project.

Hope that explains.

Cheers

Lev Kaufman May 19, 2014

Hi Mauro,

I've created a special user group (users2), which has been added to 'JIRA users' in Global Permissions. This group has only one user defined (which is excluded from a regular 'users' group).

The group "users2" has a permission 'Service Desk Customer - Customer Portal'. It is seen under 'People' Tab in Service Desk definition in Project administration. As well in a Project Permission scheme the role 'Service Desk Customer - Portal Acess' has a right to Browse Projects (it is JIRA Service Desk Permission Scheme for Project) among other rights.

This user can't see the Service Desk of the Project at all

I can't find what is wrong. Please advice.

Thank you.

Lev

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2014

Hi Lev,

Does the user have application access and is able to login to Jira? everything else on the guide Setting up JIRA Service Desk Users looks like is covered by what you explain. If so, feel free to create a support request at support.atlassian.com and we'll be able to take a closer look.

Cheers,
Mauro

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events