Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Exchange Online account to JIRA OnDemand Service Desk 2.0?

Timo Pitkäranta September 11, 2014

JIRA (OnDemand) Service Desk 2.0 has setting to allow customers to contact service desk via email. Customers can create a request by sending an email, and respond to comments from agents via email as well.

However, when adding my exchange online email account with following settings

email protocol: SECURE IMAP
mail server: outlook.office365.com
port number: 993

i get following notification:

BYE JavaMail Exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

Is exchange online supported, and if not, when can we expect this feature to be updated to JIRA OnDemand?

2 answers

1 vote
Duc Anh Dao September 12, 2014

Hi Timo Pitkäranta,

What did you use to setup the email channel to office365? I tried to create the same thing using trial account of office365 and it works as expected. Please find in the screenshot information of the setting that I used.

Cheers

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 7.08.12 PM.png

0 votes
Timo Pitkäranta September 14, 2014

Hi Duc,

Thanks for the reply.

We set up a test account, and used it to login to https://portal.microsoftonline.com
Office365 asked to change the password on initial login, so we changed it.
I tried to access to Outlook Web App in Office365, and it worked ok.

Now when we tried to configure this same account to JIRA Service Desk email settings
the same way you did, we still got the same read timeout error message. The only
difference to your settings is that we have our company's domain-name in the email address

Does this email have to exist in JIRA as a user account as well?
This is not public service desk, but that shouldn't matter?

Duc Anh Dao September 14, 2014

Hi timo pitkäranta, There's no precondition with setting up the email channel. That said, you setup things properly already. The actual problem is, somehow office365.com takes longer time than expected to process our request. As it's out of our expected time window, the exception was raised. We are working on increasing the duration of the time window in order to increase the compatibility with email services.

Timo Pitkäranta September 14, 2014

Thanks Duc, I appreciate it

Andrew Exley September 15, 2014

Thanks Duc. As users of Office 365 for Education and using ADFS for clients to authenticate against our internal active directory I can confirm that we are experiencing the same issue as Timo and look forward to seeing a resolution.

Duc Anh Dao September 15, 2014

Thanks timo pitkäranta] and [~andrewe, we addressed the problem and will ship the fix with the upcoming Ondemand release. Please be updated via this issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-793

Timo Pitkäranta September 15, 2014

Thanks for this Duc

Jaime Vogel October 6, 2014

Hi Duc, are you able to tell us when this fix will be released? Thank you.

Duc Anh Dao October 7, 2014

Hi @Jaime Vogel, the fix was implemented. It should be landed on OD in the next few weeks

DevOps Admin January 23, 2015

Hi, We self-host and are experiencing the same issue. Can we fix this ourselves?

Chris Whitten [Comskil] October 13, 2015

@Duc Anh Dao I am seeing the same thing on the stand alone version and we are running 6.4.8. Was the timeout fix incorporated to that as well? Any other thoughts on how we can deal with the socket timeout issue? Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events