Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change a customer's organization or assign them to an organization when self-registered

Anju Global Support July 5, 2018

We are using organizations. Customers have been entered into organizations, but we are also allowing them to self-register. How do I put them into an organization once they have self-registered? If they are in an incorrect organization, how do I move them to the correct one?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2018

To add an existing customer to an organization you just add them like you would a new customer. From the organization just click Add Customer and add as per normal, just uncheck the box to send an invitation.

It's not possible natively in jira to automatically place new customers into Organizations.

Although someone else might have an answer for that.

Thanks. Yes, I see that. So what does one do when they inadvertently assign an end-user to the wrong Organization? How would I move them to the correct one?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2018

you can remove a customer from the 'wrong' organization and add them the the correct organization.

Like Eva Höglin likes this
Danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2018

When you click on an Organization and then hover over the customer, you should notice an (x) on the right hand side, click that to remove them from the Organization. They will then just be under the Customer menu.

You can then re-add them to the correct Organization.

Hope that helps.

Like Eva Höglin likes this
Lisa Presley April 3, 2019

This doesn't seem to work any more, that X doesn't exist now.

Like Radostina Chokova likes this
simon.marshall November 14, 2019

I'm trying to do this too - however when you say "just uncheck the box to send an invitation." this option doesn't exist?Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 09.28.27.png

Like # people like this
Daniel Siegel March 31, 2020

Same problem. How can we fix this?

Like Lia Mack likes this
Félix Bonnal June 11, 2020

Same issue here.

0 votes
Anthony Wymond May 18, 2020

Short answer is, create the organisation, and add the existing customer to the organisation. 

Jira will automatically find that the email address is an existing customer, and move them into your newly created organisation, along with their tickets, and will NOT notify them (even if it says it will).

Presumably this is because it managed to find an existing Customer, if on the other hand, it couldn't find and existing customer then I'd assume the customer will receive a signup email.

Weird and unintuitive process, but we just tested it and it seems to work like this currently.

Félix Bonnal June 11, 2020

I tried this procedure and the system did send a new invitation for every customer I added to the organization. Every customer already had a Service Desk customer account and they all received new invitation email anyway.

If Atlassian could bring back the "Send invitation" checkbox that supposedly existed in a previous version, that would be great. 

Like Pim Vincentie likes this
Anthony Wymond June 11, 2020

Sorry, my bad! It didn't send the notifications in my test, but maybe that was because I'd created an organisation and added internal (not external) email addresses to test.

Seems like the simple checkbox should definitely be re-added then!

Like Khalid Tariq likes this
Khalid Tariq October 15, 2020

Can you not turn off the notification before adding the customer and then enable it again after you are done?

Daniel Triftshaeuser February 22, 2021

Hello,

what @Khalid Tariq has been suggesting is the best way to solve.

When the notification is deactivate in the project settings

2021-02-22_13h58_56.png

The "Add Custom" function will display this information

2021-02-22_14h01_18.png

This way the customers can be assigned to organizations without additional mails being sent.

Afterwards just reactivate the notification setting if needed.

Best Regards

Daniel

0 votes
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

Hi there,

are you looking into doing this manually, using Components perhaps? Then it would be a matter of adding a component to the user. You can allow the user to do it themselves or do it for them later.

Components have default assignees that can be notified and perhaps they can do it for the user.

If you're looking into automated solutions, you need a way to sort the users, maybe based on email addresses.

Let me know if any of this is helpful and we can go into more details.

Hi Krisz,

I was hoping that the system would recognize the user's email address and could assign the user to to the organization automatically based on the fact that others in the organization had the same @domain in the email address. Is this possible?

I'm unfamiliar with components. Can you give me some direction on that?

Like Ian McGrew likes this
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

Sorry, silly me, components are for issues.

If I understand it correctly you'd need a script that looks up all the organisations in your system and then adds the user to the one that the domain matches.

The question is now: how do you define the organisation in your Jira? Are they groups?

Yes, this is regarding customers.

We have set up our Help Center based on our products., e.g., Project 1 = Software Product 1.

Under each Project/Product, we have set up Organizations. Each organization = one of our company's Customers that subscribes to that project/product. 

Under each Organization there are end users who need support.

We have assigned some of the end users to organizations; however, due to the volume of end users (in your speak, customers) and the fact that they continue to grow, we want them to be able to go to our service login page and create their own accounts. 

When they create their own account, how do we then get them to the correct organization? Or, is there a way for the app to do this for me based on @domain?

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2018

Maybe this would help: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Organization-automation/qaq-p/225618

This seems like a similar solution to me.

Let me know if it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events