Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign Servicedesk issues to developers

Mirco Lehnhoff January 22, 2018

Hi there,

we have installed a JIRA Servicedesk (3 agents) into our DMZ. Additionally we have our company JIRA in our internal network (25 users).

When a customer raises an issue using the Servicedesk portal one of our agents shall distribute the issue to one of our developers. Unfortunately we cannot assign the issue within the Servicedesk system, as it seems that only agents are allowed to be assignable users.

What would you suggest, how we should process?

Is there a way to clone the issue to our internal JIRA and link to it?

I hope, that there is a simple solution.

Thanks in advance and cheers,

Mirco.

2 answers

2 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

Hi Mirco,

as Nic mentioned, I'd also suggest that you setup a synchronisation between the Jira in your DMZ and the Jira in your internal work. Then you can synchronize the issues, based on certain conditions & configurations.

I think, this matches the second level support use case described in this documentation.

If you're interested in a demo of Backbone Issue Sync, please drop us a line at support@k15t.com. Of course, you could also give the other issue sync solutions a try.

Cheers,
Matthias.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

Yes, there is an easy way to do that. You can create linked issue from a Service Desk ticket and then keep the workflow in sync.

Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/escalate-jira-service-desk-issues-to-other-jira-teams-930022008.html and the linked automation pages to know more about it.

Thanks a lot for the hint! It seems, that I can only create a linked issue on the same instance.

I linked both applications using impersonated OAuth, as the user base differs for both installations.

When I hit "Create linked issue" in my Servicedesk it only offers me projects within that Servicedesk and not of my connected JIRA installation.

Did I miss anything?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

Did you install JSD as an application in your Jira instance. System admin > applications.

No, we have two separate instances: one for SD and the other one for JIRA. Both - located on separate machines - are connected via application link.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

Ah ok. You need to have them both on the same instance for it to work. And it is the recommended option.

Another option is to sync the issues between the 2 instances using a solution like ConnectAll. You will find a few other add-ons in marketplace too with similar functionality.

But my company doesn't want to set the entire JIRA into the internet, that is why we separated the instances.

What would you suggest? What would be the best practice?

What would be the setup if both applications were at only one instance and only the SD shall be accessible via the internet?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2018

With separated servers, I would create a copy of your Service Desk project in your developer Jira (you do not need to have it as a Service Desk project there), and then use one of the synchronisation add-ons, Backbone, Exalate or ConnectAll to connect the two projects together.

Mirco Lehnhoff January 23, 2018

Thanks a lot, that sounds good. Anyway, what about security issues if we would set all our JIRA applications onto the server which is located in the DMZ?

Is there a way to only make the SD accessible and hide the other apps like the Dev-JIRA (2nd line support)?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2018

Yes, that's actually one of the things Service Desk is for.  Customers only see Service Desk portals, never any part of Jira.  Your developers log into Jira in full and use it as normal.

Mirco Lehnhoff January 23, 2018

Ok, thank you.

One last question: Is there any way to hide the section "Shared with" in the customer view?

If my Servicedesk agent shares the issue with a developer, the customer is able to see that. We do not want customers to see the staff-names.

Yes, we could share with a global user "developers" for instance, but that is not our intention.

Any idea on this one?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events