Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to administer queues in Jira Service Desk

Ben Pollard May 9, 2017

Hi

I am setting up Jira Service Desk for RNIB and need help with setting up queues.

We have the default queues, however need to create queues so we can assign queues to engineers, however in our current system use locations to define what queues the engineers see. Can this be done in Jira?

Also how would we restrict what queues different teams would have access to?

Many thanks

Ben Pollard

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2017

I have to echo the other two - there's no queue restrictions, an agent who can use the project sees all the queues. 

You can be a bit sneaky and use (automated) issue security to hide issues from users, and that will flow into the queues, with people not seeing issues inside queues that they're not supposed to see.

0 votes
Daniel Bajrak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2017

Hi,

There is a plugin called Queues for JIRA Service Desk and it allows to create queues visible only for selected groups. Queues don't need to be restrict only for one project and it works fine also with non jira service desk project. It's one of the newest plugin on marketplace and new features are added really quickly with next versions of this add-on.

I hope I've helped you.

Best Regards

Beth.Starr July 31, 2019

Having this add on does not prevent the user from seeing the other queues.  It gives an alternate view of the queues where you can set restrictions so that not all queues are present on the screen (changes the view). If the user is an agent they still have access to the other queues unless your organizational rules are for this person to only use the Queues for SD Queue that has the restriction but it still does not prevent them from accessing the project or the native Jira Service Desk queues.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2017

Since the queues are simply filtered list and little more you can't add restrictions within a project. Whoever has access to the project also has access to all issues in the project. As for the location, I have added a Facility custom field that is required when opening tickets. This can be use to create queues and agents can be instructed to manage their queue accordingly.

0 votes
Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

I have mine set up in a similiar way. Based on the location, a certain team gets assigned to the issue. For example, I have queues for Team 1, Team 2... up to Team 5. I assigned users to their team by making Groups for each of these teams and assigning the user to that group. I set up a workflow rule (you'll need the Jira Workflow Tools add-on for this) saying that when an issue is created at a certain location, it is assigned to Team x (all this done with custom fields) and then I just filter the queues to show issues for that assigned team. This is probably super confusing explaining it like this and may not be what you are asking, but hopefully it helps a little bit.

I have not yet found a way to restrict queues to certain people. I have also looked for this, but have not seen any way to set security permissions on queues. Maybe someone can help us both out with that one! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events