Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a custom field to a single custom issue type?

James Muir June 2, 2020

I have a custom issue that I created (lets call it CFO Approval) that I would like to add to a new issue type (lets call it Software Acquisition). 

I can go through the process of adding it to the default screen (which adds the field to all of the issue types in my Service Desk project) and then, using the "Applicable contexts" in the custom field configuration, limit it to only my custom issue type and specific project so that it will only appear on that combination. 

This seems a bit sloppy though if i want to have different custom fields for each of the issue types in the project.

I have tried going the route of creating a new Field Configuration, Field Configuration Scheme,  Screen, Screen Scheme, and Issue Type Screen Scheme but cannot figure out how to get the field to appear for my issue type this way. The whole process seems very convoluted and I cannot find any appropriate documentation on how to accomplish what I am trying to achieve. 

It would seem as though this type of configuration would be commonly requested but it is not an intuitive process. 

Can someone explain how I might go about accomplishing this or at least point me towards useful documentation regarding this subject?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2020

Hello @James Muir

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand you would like to add a custom field only to a specific issue type, not displaying this field in other issue types of your Jira site.

I believe the best way to achieve what you need would be to add the custom field ONLY to the screens related to that specific issue type. Allow me to explain it better:

Navigating to your project > Project settings > Screens, you will be able to see what screen schemes are related to each issue type you have in your Project. P.S: In Jira service desk project templates, it usually uses a separate screen scheme for each issue type.

Since a screen scheme defines what screens are displayed when creating, viewing and editing an issue, you can configure a separate screen scheme to your new issue type and add separate screens containing the custom field you need. This will make the custom field display only for the issue types using that specific screen scheme.

You can find more details on how to configure screen schemes in the documentation below:

Associating a screen with an issue operation 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events