Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add Confluence to my existing self-hosted JIRA instance?

Brogan Beard July 11, 2017

I have JIRA Service Desk.  How do I add Confluence to my self-hosted instance of JIRA?

Do I need to deploy a new server to host Confluence and connect it to the JIRA database on the server where Service Desk is hosted?

Edit: typo.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

JIRA and Confluence are two separate systems. 

You will need to install Confluence as a separate thing to JIRA.

(Technically, you could run them in the same Tomcat server.  But never do that - it *will* break, in bad ways)

My dev setup has JIRA and Confluence running as two independent installations, but on the same physical server (if you're going to do that, make sure it has enough CPU and memory for both).  You could just as easily run them on totally separate machines, and most people do that.

Running them separately has no bearing on how you connect them with each other with application links and so-on.

On the database side, it's more common to see one database server behind the two services.  But they must be run in separate databases.  My PostGres server is running a single database service, but I've got the JIRA, Confluence, Crowd and Bitbucket databases (and others) all inside it.

Brogan Beard July 11, 2017

Thanks for the information that is very helpful.  In this case, I plan to have Confluence run on its own separate VM from JIRA, but I am still a bit confused and I think it's just me not understanding the difference between the systems.

When I purchased and installed JIRA Service Desk, I thought I installed JIRA, then installed Service Desk.  Are JIRA (core) and JIRA Service Desk two separate systems? Meaning just because I purchased JIRA Service Desk doesn't mean I purchased JIRA?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events