How do you send an email notice when a problem is created?

Greg Mora June 26, 2017

We are evaluating Jira Service Desk and can't figure out how to send an email notificaiton to key stakeholders and IT personal. We have them in a distributor list in Outlook so it shows up as a group but the only options we have are reporter and customers involved. 

Any help is very much appreciated!

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2017

Greg,

can you provide a bit more details on your requirements? For example, will this notification go out for every issue or only ones that meet certain criteria? When do you want the notifications to occur (creation, comments, transitions, etc)?

Is there something you don't like about Tim's suggestion?

Based only on what you have provided, I would simply create a distribution-list user in JSD, e.g. default.notification@URcompany.com. Then have IT setup email forwarding such that any mail to that user gets forwarded to your DL in Outlook. Finally, I would configure the notifications as you desire to include that default.notification user. Note, while you could simply create a group in JIRA with all of the names in the group, that assumes that all users to be notified actually have JSD accounts and if you have a DL you are managing then you don't want to manage that in JIRA as well.

Greg Mora July 3, 2017

Hi Jack!

Hit the nail on the head about the JSD accounts. 

We currently have a JSD project setup for problems only. We are tasked to notify key stakeholders and others when a problem (issue type = problem) occurs. The notification goes to a specific distro list depending on priority level. A notice should be sent at creation, updates (I assume comments will be used), and resolution. 

In regards to Tim's reply, there is nothing wrong with it we just find it hard to believe that Atlassian doesn't have something built in that is more native (i.e. using automation). 

In reply to your suggestion, does the distro list user in jsd consume a license? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2017

Are you only using JSD or JIRA Core/Software as well? In my scenario I use JSW and it does consume a JSW license. That hasn't been an issue really as pricing was based on tiers but now that Atlassian is moving to per user licensing it is a consideration. While configuring this 'DL' user as an agent will certainly work, $20/mo would not be attractive. There may be a way to do this by having the users to be notified configured as Customers but need to play with that and see since Customer notifications are different than users/admins/agents. If I have a few minutes I will play with this and let you know.

Finally, there are plugins that can help but if you are running Cloud that is limited i'm affraid.

0 votes
Greg Mora July 3, 2017

Are there any other suggestions? 

0 votes
Tim Patrick June 27, 2017

you should be able to create a post function for this.

if not, you may need to have a listener in place to do so.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events