Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get Jira to notify relevant users of a request being raised?

niggles20 November 7, 2019

We are in the process of implementing Jira Service Desk (using Jira Server).  The notification scheme being used for the event of "Issue Created" comprises the following notifications:  

• All Watchers
  • Current Assignee
  • Reporter
  • User Custom Field Value (Approvers)

When the portal is used to raise a new request, no-one is receiving an email notification.  The following people were involved in the ticket, so I am expecting Person B & C to receive an email.

1. Person A = Agent taking the call and logging the request on the portal on behalf of the user (they are not using the 'create' button - they are using the customer portal link).  This person is a service desk agent.
  2. Person B = The user who the request is raised on behalf of (ie. the person notifying the service desk of the issue).  This person does not have a service desk licence, but they are listed in the Directory.
  3. Person C = The nominated approvers of the issue.  This person does not have a service desk licence, but they are listed in the Directory.

I have checked and confirmed the following:

1. Person B and Person C are correctly listed in the created Jira ticket as the 'reporter' and 'approvals' fields respectively.  
  2. There is a request type, customer status and channel all listed under the "service desk request' section.
  3. Customer permissions are set to:
    • Who can raise requests?:  Customers who have an account on this Jira site
    • Who can customers share requests with?:  "Any customer or organization, by searching in this project"
  4. Notification Helper (in project settings) shows the following same two items under 'status' for persons A, B & C:
    • Person received notifications for the 'Issue Created' event
    • Person does not get notified of their own changes  Note:  In the scenario outlined above, Person C has no knowledge of the issue being raised, and consequently I'm not sure what is causing this particular status to occur?
  5. If a watcher is added (Person D), and this person is different to all other people currently listed on the ticket, they received a notification when a new comment was added to the ticket (which is correct as "All Watchers" are set up to be notified when an Issue is Commented).
  6. Email notifications are working for our Jira Software projects, which runs in the same Jira service instance.

I desperately (!!) need to be able to advise Person C (the approver) that there is a request they need to approve. I would also like to advise Person B (the user) that the issue has been raised on their behalf (given they are the reporter, but they are not the one who physically logged the issue).

I am very new to the administrator functions of Jira, so painfully explicit step-by-step instructions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2019

Hi

Welcome to Jira Administration.

The first thing to realize is that when dealing with JIRA Service Desk, there are two completely separate notification systems

The first is the one in Jira core. That is controlled by Notification Schemes, permission schemes etc. They key thing to realize with that one is that you have to have permission to log into jira and see the issue in order to get those notifications. If you do not have a licnese, then nothing you do in there will be relevant.

That of course doesnt work for JSD Customers, who are unlicensed. For Jira Service Desk, there are Customer Notifications. These are configured per project, In the section marked "Customer Notifications"

That is where you set up notifications for your customers including your approvers. Make sure that is all set up. Make sure that the relevant notifications are enabled, and set to send to the right users. There is a particular one for approvers there.

See the link below for more details.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver/managing-service-desk-notifications-939926348.html

Hope this helps.

niggles20 November 11, 2019

Hi!  Unfortunately I (and a number of others!) still can't get this to work.

Looking at the customer notifications, the default rule for "Approval Required" has the following properties:

1. triggers when a request transitions to an approval stage of its workflow; and
  2. goes to "approvers"; and
  3. enable box is ticked.

None of the tests I have run result in an email being sent to the approver (I've tested this under several different scenarios including one where the approver is a non-licensed customer and another when they are licensed).  The ticket status is definitely showing as "Waiting For Approval" 

If I manually generate the "send me a test email", it works.  I just can't get it to fire the email from notifications.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2019

As a test, can you set it to send to Approvers and Customer? To make sure that the notification is going out at all.

Also Do you actually have an approval configured? Just being in the status isn't enough. You need to make sure one is configured on that status. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-jira-service-desk-approvals-938847527.html

niggles20 November 17, 2019

Hi.  It looks like I had everything set up the way it was supposed to be (as confirmed by Atlassian).  It seems that the issue has been resolved as a result of upgrading our version of service desk.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events