Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add fields to issue type: Service Request

Andy Pritchard April 16, 2018

I am attempting to add fields that are available in our tickets to our Customer Support Request field - weeverapps.com/support.

The below screen shot shows the visible fields. When I select "+ Add a field", it provides me with the list below of "Showing available fields from the linked issue type: Service Request"

How do I add fields so that they show up in the fields from the linked issue type: Service Request?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 4.08.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 4.08.58 PM.png

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2018

This is not one of the more intuitive areas of Jira, but it does sort of make a bit more sense when you think of Service Desk as an extension to plain Jira.

Jira works off issues, and you can customise these issues with fields.  Go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields to see the current list and add new fields.  Once you've added the fields you want, you will also need to tell the Jira project that you want to use those fields on the issues, which you do with "screens" (most important for this answer is the "create" screen).

Now, Service Desk adds a layer - Requests.  These are customer-facing front-ends for the issues, and they are intended to be a more simple friendlier interface on to the issues.  Again, you can add fields to them to ask the customers for information, but to do it, the fields have to be on the issues that are behind the requests.  You're not really adding fields to them, you're saying "present some/all of the fields on the issues to the customer".

I suspect my second paragraph above is what you need to see, but I don't think it makes much sense without the rest of the context!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2018

certainly agree that Request Types isn't super intuitive.

Andy Pritchard April 17, 2018

Thanks for your feedback, Nic. 

Perhaps I need to provide a bit more information. Please see the below screen shot that shows the fields associated to "WACS: Jira Service Desk: Request Fulfilment View/Edit Screen". Note that "Browser / Version" is a field in this list. 

But then when I go to " + Add a field" to the Visible fields list for the "Service Request" request type, the "Browser / Version" does not show up as a selection.

Can you think of anything that I am doing wrong or how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 9.54.05 AM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2018

My guess is your browser/version field is of a type not supported by service desk.

Andy Pritchard April 19, 2018

Okay - thanks Nic. 

I'll check to see if that is the case. 

There are also a lot of other fields that do not come up in the list of fields that are available for the linked issue type "Service Request". 

Is there a step by step guide you can send me that describes how to take a field and make it available for the linked issue type "Service Request"?

Thanks

Andy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2018

You've already landed on the screens that do the work, so you don't need a guide - to add a field to the Request, it has to be on screen for the underlying issue, and a type the system supports.

To make a particular type of field available requires code in the field that allows it to work and code in the core of Service Desk to make it recognise it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events