Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I report on requests created by Department?

lindsaychung August 28, 2017

We are a single service desk for the entire organization. We would like to report on requests created by department, but I can't find a way to do that out of the box? What are the best practices out there for tracking departments of users and their requests?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2017

Reporting depends on how you want to report.

If you simply want to see what department (organization) owns the issues then a filtered list that includes Organization column would provide that view.

If you want to create a report for each department then a JQL like:

project = ABC and assignee in organizationMembers("organization")

you can even leave off project if your orgs span projects.

you can also display these on dashboards if desired.

if this isn't helping please provide more details of what your goal is.

lindsaychung August 30, 2017

This is exactly what I am trying to do. Thank you!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2017

finally! it only took me almost a week to get it right. ;-)

glad to help. click the checkmark to accept answer...helps others. 

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2017

you can:

• create a custom field (Department) and make it required to be completed by the requestor or
  • use the Organization function and place customers into department organizations, e.g. mycompany_IT, mycompany_Operations, etc.
Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2017

...but be aware that if you use Organizations, each customer's requests will be shared with the rest of their organization by default.  There's a discussion of this issue here: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4382

Sshah October 5, 2022

@Jack Brickey

Thanks for sharing the info. In our case Department name is listed in Requester Details from AD Attributes Sync Add on. Is there a way on how to get the department from AD Attributes to generate report for number of requests showing by department.

Thank you,

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

@Sshah , this is a very different question/scenario so I would suggest creating a new post so that you can get more eyes on it. I am not familiar with how this would be achieved.

0 votes
Kerli Loopman
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2022

I don't use "Organizations" anymore because I don't want users to be able to share their requests with whole organization and our users didn't quite get why this field appeared on request forms. 

So I came up with an idea with custom field + automation. 

How I use my custom department field: 

I have created a new cascade field "Departments and Units" because our companies structure has two hierarchy levels. 

I have set up an Global Automation because I use it in several projects but it can be done in projects automation too:

Trigger: "When value changes for" -> "Reporter"

Condition: "If: Issue matches JQL" - > this is optional but I use it to restrict to certain projects/issue types. 

Branches for each "Department and Unit" value (in my example I show only two). 

Branch - "For current issue"

Condition: Reporter is in group XXX

Action: Then Edit issue fields - > Advanced (JSON) 

{
"fields": {
"Departments and Units" : {"value": "XXX", "child":{ "value":""} }
}
}

Branch - "For current issue"

Condition: Reporter is in group YYY

Action: Then Edit issue fields - > Advanced (JSON) 

{
"fields": {
"Departments and Units" : {"value": "XXX", "child":{ "value":"YYY"} }
}
}

Now every time that some user creates an issue, automation fills the custom field of users department/unit and that custom field can be used in several reports. 

For example I use a dashboard gadget "Two dimensional filter Statistics" that has a filter of issues I want to count and shows "Departments and unit" on one axis and "issue type" on other. There I can see which Department or Unit has created the most or least requests and which issue types. 

Some things I noted:

- I divided my automation to several different automations as there is a limit of the components in one automation so if you have many departments, it may not fit in to one automation.

- There might be issues with the automation setting the wrong department because user is in several groups. I fixed some of those by just editing the automation condition in this users group branch by adding additional conditions to one condition component with "All match"

Reporter is in group YYY

Reporter is not in group XXX 

- If you don't need to use cascade field, then you don't have to use Advanced Action with JSON either - then it can be done with regular "Edit issue fields" action . 

0 votes
lindsaychung August 30, 2017

Thank you all for your answers, but they don't actually tell me how to report on the information. I have Organizations set up and people sorted into them, but I don't see Organizations as a parameter I can use in the reports.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events