How can I remove portal-only customers from a specific project/portal?

Heather Rowland July 31, 2017

I have 15 different projects on our service desk portal for various departments in our organization, and I'm trying to restrict who can submit requests to those projects by removing the organizations from the projects I don't want them to have access to.

However, once I remove an organization, the individual users show up on the customer list, and there's no option to remove the individual customers.

I feel like the answer is probably obvious, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

6 answers

5 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

Hi everyone,

I know it has been a while and Jira Service Desk changed a lot since 2017, but I would like to share the actual process for removing customers from projects.

1 - When you add a customer (outside an organization) on the customer's page, it will automatically show the same customer on the People's page with the role "Service Desk Customers". So to remove the customer from the project, the right place is the People's page and not the customers' page.

2 - To remove a customer from an organization, you can just click on the X next to their name.

Note that, when a project is open to anyone that has an account to open tickets, they will only show on the customers' list and it's not possible to remove them since the project is for everyone.

For more details, please check the documentation below:
- Setting up service desk users

Regards,
Angélica

Dean October 22, 2020

Option 1 - Does not work, we created a few test users outside an organization yet, under the People Page it does not show them nor does it allow us to remove the Customer from Jira Service Desk. 

This seems like a major flaw in the Jira Service Desk.  At minimum, it admins should be able to select or click and drag a customer (from the Customers screen in a project) to an organization.  This would allow you to delete the account if they are part of the organization.  

For what is so far been a great user experience setting up the Service Desk, this is definitely a plunger to the face type experience.

Like Pouján (Jiralísta) likes this
1 vote
Marcin Krasicki July 27, 2022

so I spent like 30 min to figure it out but I did it.

It would be so much easier if we could just simply remove an account from the screen where we were creating them but no.. even if you add them to a bogus organization and delete them from there or delete the whole organization, accounts are still active, so to do it properly you need to do is: 

Go to the cog icon and click on User Management, next click on Products, then click Manage access, and in SITES AND PRODUCTS section click on the name of your site. In Jira SERVICE MANAGEMENT section click on Portal customers and now you can delete the account from the list.

1 vote
Bastian Bothe July 15, 2020

(There was a bug yesterday that no answer was shown to every topic here in this board..)

According to the first answer:

"When you add a customer (outside an organization) on the customer's page, it will automatically show the same customer on the People's page with the role "Service Desk Customers". So to remove the customer from the project, the right place is the People's page and not the customers' page."

This is not the case for us. The users are not listed under "People" page.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2020

Hi @Bastian Bothe , 

When you add a customer to a Service Desk project then you should be able to remove it from: Project Settings -> People like in below screenshot.

JSD-project-People.jpg

If this is not working for you, can you kindly provide a screenshot of the People tab and one of the Customer tab making sure you hide the sensitive data?

Thanks,
Dario

Bastian Bothe July 20, 2020

Hi  @Dario B ,

thanks for you answer, but it is not working

1. User is listed under Customer page:
  2. 1.png
  3. Added user to People page
  4. 2.png
  5. Hit the remove button. User was deleted from People but not from Customer page

Why is there no remove button next to the user on the Customer page? Would be the easiest solution.

Kind regards

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2020

Hello @Bastian Bothe,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

May we know if the project is open to anyone with an account on the site?

To confirm that, please go to Project settings > Customer permissions (classic) or Project settings > Channels > Customer permissions (next-gen).

If the "Who can access the portal" option is set to "Anyone with an account", it's expected that you won't be able to remove the customer from the customers' page, because the project is open, so the only way to remove people from the project is by closing the project.

Regards,
Angélica

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2020

@Bastian Bothe , 

If portal only customers are showing in the customers' section without being added to the people section then there are chances your project is configured in such way that anyone with an account on your site has access to it:

customers-access.jpg

Can you check if this is the case?

Cheers,
Dario

Bastian Bothe July 21, 2020

@Dario B @Angélica Luz 

Indeed this option is set:

2020-07-22 08_21_21-Window.png

But I don't understand why this setting is blocking me to delete customers outside my organization which I added manually. Also how do I should clean up customers who may have leaved the company and never had an Atlassian Account, only a Customer login? They will remain there?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 22, 2020

When the project is open, it's not possible to remove customers or users.

In this case, to delete or inactivate their account, it's necessary to go to Cog Icon > User management > Jira Service Desk and click on Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 16.34.12.png on the customer you want to delete/disable.

On this page, you will be able to delete the accounts from customers that are not using the portal anymore.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 16.32.24.png

Like # people like this
Andrew Taylor July 27, 2020

Hope its ok if I jump on the end of this Angelica - when you Delete a customer account it rightly says it cant be restored.  Does that mean the email address will never be able to be re invited or send a request in?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 28, 2020

Hello @Andrew Taylor,

Yes, once the account is deleted, the only way for the customer to access again is by inviting them. Once this is done, they will have a different account ID, but using the same email address, the tickets they created previously should be associated with this account again.

If you only revoke their access, they won't be able to send requests or access the portal. Everytime they try to do this, it will show an error informing that the account is inactive and only the site admin will be able to give them access again. 

If you delete the account and the customer, for example, sends an email to create a ticket, the account will be created again.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Dario B likes this
Rafa February 14, 2024

@Angélica Luz this comment is 4 years old but..

you say

"once the account is deleted, the ONLY WAY for the customer to access again IS BY INVITING THEM"

but then you say

"If you delete the account and the customer ... SENDS AN EMAIL to create a ticket, THE ACCOUNT WILL BE CREATED AGAIN."

So which one is it? can they send an email and the account gets created again? or their emails will be ignore unless they are invited?

It is ridiculous how complicated the user management is built on this platform.

1 vote
laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2017

Hello Heather, 

I have the same problem as your, right now I am creating a fake organization and putting there my customers because you can delete them if they are inside an organization.

Hope Atlassian solves this soon.

Regads

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2017

What about in the users and roles - service desk customers role.  Is the user in that role? 

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2017

Are they in the Service Desk Customers Role?

They are not, they're portal-only customers.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2017

Won't that delete the user's account, entirely, though? I only want to remove them from one project.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2017

Hmm, I actually identified a similar scenario in one of my projects. I am digging further into it to see if I can find an answer.

Edit: Are you on cloud or server?

Heather Rowland August 3, 2017

We're on Cloud.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2017

If you do click the Manage User link, do you see a button in the upper right that says "Convert to Atlassian account"?

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2017

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events