Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I merge tickets in Jira Service desk?

mudassar waraich April 13, 2017

How can I merge tickets in Jira Service Desk?

38 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

Hello,

At this very moment, we currently do not have an inbuilt feature to properly merge issues in Jira Sotware/JSM Cloud, unfortunately. That being said, we created the following feature request to consider its implementation in future releases of Jira Cloud:

Merge issue feature needed

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, there are some third-party apps that provide this functionality as:

Merge Agent for Jira

Issue Merger for Jira 

Thanks!

JHubbard March 16, 2022

I'm sorry but how do you market a tool as a service desk solution but not provide this functionality? You can no longer use the excuse of Jira is meant for Project Management since the decision to create a spin-off Frankenstein version of Jira and call it a service desk tool. Atlassian chose to enter this market, and all of your competitors offer this feature, including one free, open source tool.

And this new model Atlassian has adopted of go buy a plugin to the tune of xyz-bazillion dollars is a huge slap in the face. The cost for the product is already up there and now anytime someone requests some basic functionality they get told to spend additional money.

I've completely lost faith in Atlassian.

Like # people like this
Ashton September 5, 2022

There are comments on this thread from four years ago! How is this not a feature yet? Atlassian out here taking our money and forgetting to develop the product.

Like # people like this
Ricardo Kästner January 18, 2023

Merging tickets is native functionality on competing ticketing systems like Salesforce, Zendesk, or Service Desk. Requiring a paid addon for a basic functionality feature like merging tickets is unacceptable.

Like # people like this
30 votes
mstarnes July 16, 2018

I think we need a merge feature.

I have some devices that throw alerts in the middle of the night sometimes. I might get a set of HTTP, HTTPS, login page missing, latency, etc., when a server goes down or I lose the network. The one incident might generate 10 or more emails and 10 or more tickets. Since the root cause is the same, I'd like to be able to merge all these tickets into one issue.

So, how would you handle this barrage of tickets on the same issue?

Freshdesk offers this feature, by the way.

Thanks.

Like # people like this
17 votes
Benjamin Peikes July 20, 2018

We need merge functionality as well. Sometimes, a person working with a client is forwarded an email from a ticket by the client, and they respond to the email. Service Desk creates a new ticket for them because they were not added as a request participant initially.

Yes, we can link the tickets, but then you lose the ability to see all discussions in a single ticket. I would rather "merge" the tickets, so that their emails get included into the stream. 

With regards to Service Desk, I would see merging do the following things:

1) Make the merged ticket id an alias for the original ticket, the same way that moving a ticket does.

2) Add all comments from the merged ticket into the original ticket.

3) Add Reporter on merged ticket to list of Request Participants so that any further responses from the person do not create new tickets.

This happens all the time when our customers CC: their own service desk on a request to us, and someone from their support team responds.

Doug Erickson August 17, 2018

This is exactly the same situation I encounter all the time. I am required to manually copy and paste each of the replies into the main ticket then link and close out the 'splinter' tickets. Then if they reply again, it just wakes the ticket back up and forces me to do another copy, paste and close procedure. It is very time consuming and tedious.

+1 on the Merge idea. If it could just use the current time stamps from the splinter ticket and append them to the main ticket, that would be fantastic.

Lisa Fazenbaker October 23, 2018

Yep! Same here. The manual merge is a pain!

Benjamin Peikes October 26, 2018

Manual merge is not even a solution. The main issue is that when people reply to the old ticket, the responses go into the duplicate. What we'd like is that after the merge, the ticket that was merged in becomes an alias such that any additional incoming comments go to the parent ticket.

Like # people like this
14 votes
Mark Hudson November 20, 2018

+1 for Merge.

"people making service requests generally don't expect to have their requests lumped together" isn't a solution, and isn't my experience.

All the competitive offerings have this functionality (Zendesk, Freshdesk, ManageEngine, Zoho, ..)

Mark Hudson January 13, 2019

Some clever deveoper has written a commercial merge to monetise this glaring product gap: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219514/merge-agent-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=pricing

Make hay while sun shines!

Like Jenny Gladden likes this
10 votes
Jeremy West January 10, 2019

+1 for a merge feature, this would be very useful. 

6 votes
Ed Guyer January 9, 2019

+1 for Merge.  Service Desk is great, except for this one glaring flaw.  Getting 100+ tickets for the same related event just fills up the queue to an almost unmanageable amount.

6 votes
Benjamin Peikes November 26, 2018

Basically every other tool on the market has the ability to merge tickets, but Atlassian is going to stick with the "you can mark one as duplicate". The issue with marking as duplicate is that users keep responding in email to the closed ticket and the conversation goes in two different tickets.

Here is the link in Atlassians request queue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4685

though I wouldn't hold my breath on ever having this feature implemented. I've seen features with hundreds of votes sit for years without any work from Atlassian.

4 votes
Helpdesk March 29, 2019

+1 we need a merge function

3 votes
Jon Weiss March 9, 2020

Shocking omission that merging tickets is not an out of the box feature.  EVERY other ticketing product has this feature.

3 votes
IMGS IT July 3, 2019

Seems like an obvious feature which shouldn't require an addon to accomplish.

3 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2017

You can't merge tickets. However you can link both issues and mark one as a duplicate of the other. Thanks to automation rules, you can certainly update both tickets in the same time. 

Mark Hudson June 1, 2020

Nearly three years and umpteen Product Managers later this request still languishes in the "queue", amongst other hygiene requests that keep SD behind the competitors. A whole industry of plugins plugging the glaring gaps. Hurry up Atlassians...

Like rklarr likes this
2 votes
Sarah Martin February 19, 2020

+1 for merge feature.

2 votes
Leon Yeung January 7, 2020

+1 for the merge feature

2 votes
Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2019

+1 for merge feature

2 votes
Ben Romberg - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 20, 2019

We've released Merge Agent for Jira a few months ago that allows to easily merge issues for Jira Service Desk on Cloud.

Let me know if you have any feedback, we're always eager to improve our apps!

Daniel Carper May 3, 2019

Wow, 5 minutes later and I've merged my first two tickets without issue.

Thank you for the excellent community support Ben!

Like # people like this
Stanley Han June 4, 2019

Are there any plans to release a version for Data Center users?

Like # people like this
Melissa Kestner June 27, 2019

Please let us know on the on-prem version if this will be available. 

Ben Romberg - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 11, 2019

We've recently decided not to support an integration for Jira Server in the near future, since we want to focus more on Atlassian cloud products.

If we revisit this decision in the future we'll update this post accordingly.

Huw Ringer July 16, 2020

Ben,

We use the Merge Agent (& like it) - however, what we want to be able to do is automatically merge similar tickets being received from the same customer (normally via an automated system) over a defined time period e.g. for new support emails from the same customer address with the same subject merge into first original ticket with the same subject produced within a 4 hour window (say)

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
July 16, 2020

Hi @Huw Ringer ,

I am a colleague of Ben and the product manager of Merge Agent for Jira.

It's great to  hear that you like our app. I hope it makes your and your team's life easier.

Can you send your feature request to our support team? They can share and discuss it with our dev team then.

Thank you!

Marlene

Like Dave Liao likes this
Deleted user February 1, 2021

Thanks for this!

2 votes
Frankie Sourgen November 26, 2018

We had the same problem with VTiger application and then have an option to Merge Tickets which works great all information including documents are merged into one ticket nothing is lost.

1 vote
Clair Ferguson April 27, 2022

This is my first day on Jira, no merge is a pain. another for Merge.

Christopher Skoropada _Appsvio_
Marketplace Partner
April 27, 2022

Hi @Clair Ferguson 

You can try our app, Issue Merger PRO. It has a lot of features dedicated to Jira Service Management projects. 

Like Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_ likes this
1 vote
Jan Jaap Wallien August 17, 2021

Merge feature+1

1 vote
Joe April 7, 2020

+ 1!!

1 vote
Falk Brockerhoff April 2, 2020

Wha‘s the status here? Is the jira Service Desk still the only trouble ticket system on the planet without this Feature?

1 vote
Kelsey Sampson March 2, 2020

+1 for merge being an out-of-the-box feature.

1 vote
Ashish Malik February 21, 2020

+1 for the merge feature

1 vote
Olap January 14, 2020

Took them... what... 15 years to give us a working Search capabilities? Don't hold your breath to seeing this (much needed) feature before 2030...

They are too busy constantly shuffling the UI, hiding the important features takes a lot of effort.

1 vote
mostafa sobhy December 3, 2019

+1 Merge feature 

1 vote
Marius Pana November 19, 2019

+1 this is required as customers often start new threads (emails) for the same issue

1 vote
Deleted user June 21, 2019

+1 we also need it!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events