How can I have custom fields show up for some customers but not others?

Nathan Given May 24, 2019

How can I separate my customers into groups and then only show certain fields to customers of a particular group?  I know I can use organizations to put customers into groups, but I couldn't figure out how to then only show certain fields to certain organizations.

Thank you~!

Details:

I have many many "customers" in Jira that represent client users (users at client locations that are paying my company money for products we build).  I'm working on organizing these "customers" into organizations so when they open issues regarding services we provide them we can more easily know in which environment they're having a problem.

I also have internal "customers" (employees of my company) that help our client users with our products and these "customers"/employees work within many different client environments.

Thus, when a client customer opens an issue, I can tell which environment they're having a problem with because that customer is tied to an organization.

However, because the internal "customers"/employees work with many client environments, I wanted to have the internal customer/employee fill out an extra field indicating which client environment they're having a problem with.

How can I do that?  (Hide a dropdown field from our "client customers" but show that field to our "internal employee customers"?)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2019

You don't.  Jira does not have any functions that hide fields (other than the couple of system fields that are controlled by permissions)

1 vote
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2019

Hello, @Nathan Given !

If I understand correctly you have no problems with providing access to "internal customers" for the tasks of "external customers".

the task is - “to provide the possibility to “internal customers”  to set value on custom field through the portal”?

if this is just one field and you do not have so many "internal customers" (so they can be trained), then I would advise you to try JSD automation: the trigger will be a comment that will satisfy the conditions:

1. the author of the comment is a member of the “internal client” group,

2. the comment will contain a fixed “word/ combination of words”.

And as a result, if the conditions are met the automation updates the task (sets the value of the custom field). it will be one rule of automation, containing all the “if” conditions, according to which you will be able to compose instructions for “internal customers”.

hope it helps you to solve the problem, feel free to contact me if you get questions :)

Nathan Given June 3, 2019

Hi @Alexander Bondarev ,

Yes, essentially my "internal" customers are employees of my own company and they are assigned to help numerous clients (external customers).

And thus I have my internal customers opening up Jira Service Desk issues on behalf of the clients they are assigned to help, and thus I wanted to show my internal customers a select list that allowed them to select the client for which they are opening an issue.

It doesn't make sense to show this same select list to external customers (besides, I don't want my external customers to see my company's client list).

I was thus hoping to hide the client list select field from "external" customers (and only show it to internal customers).

But alas, that doesn't seem possible.  I will ponder your idea of training my internal customers to put the client code somewhere in the summary/description, however, I personally don't trust them to remember that or get it right, especially since the client list is so long.

I might also see about creating a separate Service Desk for my "internal" customers, so then I wouldn't have to worry about hiding fields, I'd only need to figure out how to only give access to the new service desk to my "internal" customers.

Thanks~!

Nathan

Nathan Given June 3, 2019

Doh!  If I create separate projects/service desks, there is no way for me to combine the queues into a single, unified view, argh!

Seems that this is already a suggestion for JSD: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1034

And If I want this feature now I could buy this: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216386/queues-for-jira-service-desk?hosting=server&tab=overview

Seems that I'm kind of deviating from my original goal: showing/hiding fields based on your organization.  I'll play around with multiple queues using the above "app" (plugin/add-on).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events