How can I expose a custom type field in Jira Service Desk (Server)?

rafaelnsbrazcubas July 5, 2017

Hello folks, 
I'm managing my assets (computers, monitors and other stuff) using a model described here https://www.atlassian.com/blog/archives/jira-asset-management-overview, the management work for our team, but now that we have JSD we want to allow our customers to select the asset that need a service done.

We install some add-ons that added the capability to select ISSUES from projects, like the one that we use to manage our assets.

The problem that I'm having is that I can't add those fields to request forms on customer portal in a way that users can see and use, when I add then they are inserted as hidden and preset fields.

How could I change this, there is any configuration to allow those fields to being displayed on customer portal?

2 answers

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2017

You need to write a service or a listener  with the logic to fill the field.

if your inventory gets updated by issue actions (create, transition, etc) you need to go with a listener and listen to events to perform the action

if its ok to update this in bulk you can do a service that runs every hour or every day and perform the updates all at once

hope it helps 

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2017

Hi,

I'm affraid that this depends on the custom field type.

Service Desk allows you to add to request types supported fields only, if the field is not available at the list of fields to add to the request type, you can't.

Which kind of field do you need to add?

I need a Issue Picker, the objective is to display a Select field that allow the customer select a computer, or printer (issue types from the asset management project) to request a service on.

This would allow us to have a more consistent view of how much incidents and services those assets have and thus allow us to make better decisions about when to buy, what brands and manufacturers to trust.

Today we depend on our team to link those issues, what can fail, with the portal approach we would ask the user to link a asset to the request, then our team by te link would know what type of asset it is, where it is, if it have remote access and so on, and if the user had picked the wrong asset (can happens because users...) then our team members would be more inclined to correct than they are to make sure that they include the info.

This happens because most of our interactions take place on the incident report, and in most cases our tech guys won't need to make a comment or take the asset out for a service, what sometimes lead then to not link the incident issue with the asset issue.

Do you know any add-on that can add this kind of functionality?

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2017

I think you can't

but, what if you write some code to add all certain issues (code + summary or whatever field value you need) to an standard select list and then use this value to capture that information?

I think that would suffice, so how can I do that? Today I have a Automation plugin, I believe that using it I could read a field from the request and then make a link between the issues, but for it I need a way to keep a select list updated (listing all the issues that fit a certain filter).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events