Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving Public Access to a Dashboard but Keeping the Project Private

Nick Everly December 16, 2019

Hey Everyone! 

So we are trying to setup a public dashboard so that our users can see where they are in the help desk queue, our workload, etc. I have everything laid out and where I want it, but no one is able to see the information on the board since the project is private.

Obviously I do not want users to be able to see or edit others' tickets or be able to get into our help desk project, but I am struggling to find a way to do this. 

One thing I tried to do, was switch everything the dashboard was pulling from to filters to see if that might work but it did not. I am really hoping someone can assist as we need to get this piece up and running before we can move on to other things!

TIA for any assistance!

Nick

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2019

HI @Nick Everly 

Are your users your agents (they work for you or with you to solve issues) or are you referring to your customers who will raise requests when they have issues? 

-Mike

Nick Everly December 18, 2019

Hey @Mike Bowen !

These are end users who will be putting in tickets and I would like them to not only see our bandwidth, but also where they are in the queue. 

So far the only workaround I have in place is having the info imported into a google sheet and then displaying it in confluence. 

Thanks for the reply!

Nick

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2019

Hi @Nick Everly 

Do these end users log into a customer portal to raise a request?

If yes to logging into Customer Portal, then they will have access to the queue and will be able to see all the tickets raised by themselves and their colleagues with statuses and comments. 

If no to logging into customer portal, then end users will be relying on email notifications, which is okay but not ideal. They would have to keep track of tickets via rules in their email. 

You need to give a bit more clarity on what you are trying to achieve. 

Jira Service Desk when set up correctly should have end users log into a Customer Portal where they raise requests. These requests arrive in a queue where your agents pick up the requests and deal with them. These requests can be added to more queues or queues with status updates. The Jira Service Desk side is private and only you and your agents can edit the tickets. 

Mike

Hey Mike!

The users do use a portal for filling out requests. They are logged into Jira when they do so and they can see their own requests, if they go to their issues page, but are not able to see where they are in relation to any other ticket.

If they try to go to our helpdesk project page it tells them the project does not exist or they do not have access. I have never seen anything in Jira showing me another end users' tickets.

Is there some other place to view the queue from an end user standpoint?

Unfortunately I did not set the HD up and have now inherited it. 

Thanks!

Nick

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2019

Hi @Nick Everly ,

Okay so it sounds like you have everything set up correctly. User users should be able to see the tickets they log (as individuals and as a group, but in the same org). 

We have multiple customers each using the Customer Portal to raise requests, but no customer can see other customers tickets, and likewise no customer can see where they are in the queue, or see our work load. That should never be available else it will lead to customers wanting to be at the top all the time. Human nature. Although customers can guess how busy our workloads are by looking at the ticket number issued to them (as it is incremental) for a ticket and then next number they receive for the next ticket they log.  

So for the end user to view the queue it must be in the Customer Portal under Requests. No where else. 

-Mike

Awesome! That is what I thought! Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events