Generating Sub Tasks Off A Service Request

Zebadiah Ramos September 28, 2017

Is it possible to generate sub tasks off of a service request? For example, if our HR department were to request a name change for one of our employees, how would we go about creating multiple tasks off of the one request for multiple teams?

Our Jira instance is hosted by Atlassian currently, not sure if that changes the options available to me or not.

Please let me know if more information is needed!

2 answers

0 votes
Vadiraj Deshpande February 5, 2019

Its quite a old post, but I have a possible solution. So if anyone is still looking for answer here is it.

We can use Automation for JIRA lite plugin (free version restricts 300 rule executions per month, which might help if you are not exceeding that limit) to add a rule to create an issue when the issue gets created by selecting issue type as sub task and creating the new issue under the triggered issue. Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 3.42.06 PM.png

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2017

You can certainly create multiple subtasks to any issue in Jira, provided your project allows for subtasks.  If you're looking at the issue details page, you can click the ... menu in Jira Cloud to create these.

subtask1.png

The thing about this is that subtasks in Jira have to be attached to a parent issue.  In turn that subtask is expected to stay in the same project as the parent issue. 

There is a potential complication here though if your request was originally a Jira Service Desk request.  There should be no problem if your other users that need to work the subtask are also Service Desk Agents.  But if they aren't in the Service Desk Agent role, and the parent issue is a JSD issue, then you would have to move these subtasks to have a different parent issue in a different project.  Otherwise it is possible that these users would not be able to post public comments on that ticket.  That might not be a problem if the subtask is supposed to be entirely internal, but I don't believe that JSD will let you assign the subtask in a JSD project to a user that is not an Agent.

Zebadiah Ramos September 29, 2017

Hello Andrew!

Thank you for your response. Is there any way to automate the creation/assignment of sub tasks off of requests?

Zebadiah Ramos

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2017

Hi Zebadiah,

Jira does not natively have a means to automatically create subtasks in this manner.  Even the automation rules in JSD won't allow you to create subtasks as an result action.

But I did find a related post in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Create-Sub-task-automatically-on-Cloud/qaq-p/380889

It might be possible to do this with another plugin for JIra Cloud such as scriptrunner, but I would expect this to require some kind of script or customization that Atlassian would not typically provide or support.

Alternatively you might search through the Atlassian Marketplace for a similar plugin.  I found one that might be helpful in Automatic Sub-tasks Add-on.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events