Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Full name from emailed request Edited

Hi!

I’m currently setting up a new Jira Service Desk for external customers and I wonder why emailed requests only show the email address under „Author“ and not the sender’s name (like in every email client). 

So instead of „john.doe@domain.xyz“, I’d like to see „John Doe <john.doe@domain.xyz>“.

I’ve been looking for the past hour and could not find anything on this. Is there a way to switch this on? Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes

Hello Flo,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Usually on Service Desk, when a customer doesn’t set their full name on the first login, it will show their email. 

I’ve searched on Service Desk and didn’t find any menu or field where the customer shows as Author instead of Reporter, can you please send us a screenshot of the page where it’s showing their emails instead of full name?

Is it happening for all customers? Have you tested sending an email to check if it will show your full name or email?

Regards,
Angélica

Hi Angélica,

thanks for your fast response. We're using Jira in German and there it says "Autor", so I assumed it would be "Author" in English, but it seems to translate to "Reporter".

In our case the customer will never log-in or create an account, we just plan to use Service Desk to manage and reply to customer emails and share bugs quickly with our dev team.

If I send an email from an address that does not have an Atlassian account it will just show the address (e.g. john.doe@domain.xyz) as Reporter and not the sender's name in combination with the address (John Doe <john.doe@domain.xyz>) like any email client would. It seems like this information is simply discarded by Jira, although it would be super useful and easier to read for the support team. In the John Doe example this isn't a big issue, since the name is included in the address. We get lots of our support requests from email addresses that don't necessarily include the user's name, so it's somewhat inconvenient. Especially Chinese users often only use email addresses like 0123456789@qq.com.

Hope I've clarified what the problem is for us. Thanks!

Thank you for the details, Flo.

When a customer doesn’t have an account, while they don’t make the first login to set their full name and password, it will appear only their email, but site-admins can change their full name.

Please, ask for a site-admin to go to Administration > Jira Service Desk. On this page, they can check the list of customers and they can click on “Edit full name” to change the name for customers that won’t use the portal.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply. The problem for us is not the ability to change the customer's name in Jira, but that Jira seems to discard that information from the emailed request, thus we don't even know the customer's name. We are dealing with end users of our product and they might only interact with us once. We'd like to address them by their name when replying, like we can do when replying to emails. So this feels like a small but unnecessary disadvantage when using JSD compared to using conventional email for customer correspondence.

It seems this is not possible with JSD out-of-the-box. Are you aware of any plugin that might be able to read that information from the incoming email and parse it to a custom field?

I searched for add-ons but I’m afraid there is no workaround for that. 

If the customer creates tickets though email, the only workaround is to copy the full name of their signature (if they add).

We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Asked in Jira Service Desk

Calling all Insight users, we need your help!

Hello Insight users,  As part of our (Mindville's) acquisition by Atlassian, our training team is looking to build some new Insight training materials. It would really helpful if you can ...

96 views 1 0
View question

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you