Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File name cannot contain the character '\'

amjad abdullah February 5, 2014

dear,

i need help with this , im using JIRA service desk and when ever im trying to attache file im getting this message "File name cannot contain the character '\'". but there is no '\' in the file name, how to solve this?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Anund
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2014

This is a known problem for service desk. There is a fix coming for those that cannot perform the workaround in the linked JIRA issue.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-153

0 votes

i tried to attache file from JIRA its working ok on IE, but if i will do it on service desk portal using IE it gives me this error,

i tried to attach on another PC using IE it gave me the same error , then i tried on 3rd PC it worked fine.

if its up to me I will remove IE from all our PC's but cannot do that.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

I think we need a bit more debugging information. What OS are you on, what is the browser, and can you tell us exactly how you are filling in the attachment field on the screen? (i.e. pasting a path and name, browsing, typing, etc). Is it possible to show exactly what the field contains just before you click attach?

Also, can you read the log file to see if that is throwing any warnings?

I think its IE problem, because I just tried on chrome and its working fine. I restore the IE settings and disable all the adds-on then restart but it’s still the same. Most of our users are using the IE for browsing. Could you please help me? Because I’m searching since morning for a solution but I did not find anything.

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

Does this happen when you attach a file to any other website? (or Atlassian's support JIRA)

If not, then IE isn't the culprit. I suspect you might have mistakenly put an additional '\' when configuring JIRA home. (not 100% sure)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

That's an excellent test - try attaching a file to another Jira that is working ok.

i tried to attache file from JIRA its working ok on IE, but if i will do it on service desk portal using IE it gives me this error,

i tried to attach on another PC using IE it gave me the same error , then i tried on 3rd PC it worked fine.

if its up to me I will remove IE from all our PC's but cannot do that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2014

Ok, useful tests, but can you tell us exactly what string ends up as the path to the file? Copy it before clicking attach and paste it in here?

amjad abdullah February 9, 2014

this is the path.

C:\Users\amjad.a\Desktop\my ID

i think if there is a problem with the path i will have problem also in chrome, but this only with IE.

RobertH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2014

I am able to replicate this in IE. The workaround works for now, but this is pretty disruptive on a required field with a few hundred users...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events