Fewer Service Desk Notifications

Julio Ochoa February 6, 2015

I'm all for keeping people informed, but the number of notifications sent by the Service Desk are a little more than my users want.

How do I configure notifications in a service desk so ONLY comments from support generate an email to the reporter.?

All other actions should NOT generate emails, except when an issue is assigned to an agent.

I already configured a custom notification scheme, but the service desk seems to use something else.

4 answers

0 votes
Don Ramsey August 24, 2015

My company uses Service Desk for many clients large and small but... the email notification system is very annoying for large clients.

Let me explain...

The client is so large that it has multiple points of contact even on the same issue and has its own Service Desk for the issues it sends us anyway.

So...

We use Service Desk for our tracking and to automatically capture the client emails in our JIRA issues and this works wonderfully

But...

We do NOT want the client to even know our JIRA Service Desk exists or to get ANY notifications from it AT ALL, 0%.

Therefore...

How can we keep the email capture feature without JIRA spamming the client?

0 votes
Julio Ochoa February 9, 2015

And just to follow up, after I disabled the Service Desk notification setting, users are not getting the notifications they're supposed to be getting under the existing scheme configurations.

RVal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2015

Please check your JIRA project notification schema configuration. As it mentioned in Atlassian documentation it should take effect when Service Desk notification is disabled: - If the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk is enabled, the JIRA notification scheme takes effect for the other users. - If the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk is disabled, the JIRA notification scheme works as defined for all events and users.

Julio Ochoa February 10, 2015

This is not the behavior I'm observing. - When I disable notification setting for JIRA Service desk, the JIRA notification scheme does NOT take effect. The scheme is set to send emails when someone is assigned to the issue and when a comment is added. No notifications go out. - When I enabled notification setting for JIRA service desk, the default (i.e. chatty) service desk notifications start going out.

Stuart Lester May 2, 2015

I'm seeing this exact behavior...did you ever get a solution? For the type of client and workflow we have, the default Service Desk notifications are _way_ more than they want. If I disable Service Desk notifications, however, the project notifications don't go out at all.

0 votes
Julio Ochoa February 9, 2015

Thank you for the suggestion.

Just to make sure I'm following, the Service Desk notifications setting is a global setting that will affect all projects. In my case, I can disable it because I like to control notifications for each of my service desks with notification schemas. In some cases, disabling the global setting may not be possible as it will affect Service Desks that do rely on those notifications. I wonder if there's a middle way solution that allows you to turn off Service Desk notification inheritance from the global setting for a specific service desk. Maybe this could be a feature...

0 votes
RVal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2015

You can configure JIRA Notification Schema the way you want for JIRA project used by your Service Desk.

JIRA Service Desk overwrites the JIRA project's  notification scheme if the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk is enabled. But if the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk is disabled, the JIRA project notification scheme works as defined for all events and users. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Configuring+JIRA+Service+Desk+notifications

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events