Email replies from reporter not added as comments sometimes?

Cole Adams November 13, 2017

I have found that sometimes when replying to JIRA emails as a reporter the responses are not added as comments. I assume there are some kind of permission issues here. When I reply to an email it always gets added, however, when I try from a test account with customer only permissions it does not work.

What determines that this is possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

Hi Cole, 

When you open the project settings and go to "Email requests", do you see that email requests are enabled? Email requests need to be turned in order to receive comments from customers.   

If this turns out to be your problem, but you don't want to receive new requests via email, here's the workaround that Atlassian support suggested and that we're using: 

Configure an Automation rule to automatically resolve requests that come in via the email channel, after having added a comment referring your users to the Customer Portal. You can extend this using an add-on to go so far as to delete the requests that come in via email if having them lingering resolved is undesirable.

1. Setup a new Request Type and if using JSD + make it hidden from the Customer Portal.
  2. Ensure that a transition exists from the first Status in the workflow to the Resolved/Closed state.
  3. Define an automation rule that will
    1. Add a comment directing your customers to the Customer Portal.
    2. Transition the issue arriving via the mail channel immediately thereafter. This could be done using a WHEN condition that matches the specific Request Type or the request-channel-type.
  4. Setup Mail requests normally, using the specially created Request Type.

There's also a feature request to separate new email requests from comments via email, but it doesn't seem to be high priority. :) 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-3697

Cole Adams November 13, 2017

This is not my issue, as I have said it only happens sometimes. Other times comments come in just fine from emails and email requests currently work without issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events