Email channel replies not to include history

Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2015

Dear Support,

We are using the email channel to create requests in JIRA service desk. We are also adding comments to requests by replying to notification emails. When replying, all the mail history is added to the comment. Is there a way to prevent this behaviour, from JIRA/service desk side, since the history includes the notification from JIRA.

6 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2015

Hi @Eric Zelinski,

I'm not using the JIRA email handler, I'm using the JIRA service desk email channel which doesn't include the mentioned option.

Thanks,

Daniel Tomberlin March 30, 2021

Why is this an accepted answer?

Luis Alejandro De Peña July 14, 2021

I agreed .. this is NOT an accepted answer. Should be removed.

7 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2015

@Eric Zelinski

Yes the two handlers are different. You don't need to configure JIRA handler to enable the service desk email channel. They have two different configurations.

Daniel Tomberlin March 30, 2021

Why is this answer voted up?

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2021

Sorry to necropost but as this is a top 5 search result for comment history in emails, I wanted to share that we added support for up to the last 10 comments to be included in emails sent by Notification Assistant for Jira on Atlassian Cloud

0 votes
Sam Omidi March 17, 2015

Hi 

You can refer to this ticket here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-1477,

JIRA Service Desk mail handler's configuration is different from normal JIRA mail handler.

I will add a non-public link to this support case, but I would like to encourage you to cast a vote on that issue and share your use-case within the comments, as that has way more impact on our product development than most other efforts. Also add it to your watch list to get notified once it is implemented in a future version.

Thanks,

0 votes
Eric Zelinski March 17, 2015

If I understand correctly the JIRA Service Desk handler only creates the tickets. While the JIRA email handler would control the comments (replies). I admittedly am still learning JIRA, but this is the way I understand it. 

0 votes
Eric Zelinski March 17, 2015

When configuring your mail handler there's a section "Split regex" we use to try to exclude the email history that is often included on replies. Often, about 98% of the time it works. Here's what I'm currently using, I'm also interested in what others use for this situation.

/[^\n]*From: *|___.*|On .*wrote:|-----Orig.*|On .*(JIRA).*|CONFIDENTIALITY\: This e\-mail.*/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events