Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email audit log shows "[AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)"

gbh2930 January 8, 2018

We have the Jira Service Desk email channel connected to our support email address which is an Office 365 / Exchange Online account. We have a problem with Jira not detecting some emails coming into our support inbox. It seems to be completely random: some emails are pulled/processed into Jira ok and others ignored.

The Jira email processing logs do not show any rejected emails. However the Jira email connectivity log repeatedly shows a mixture of success and failure entries. The connectivity failure entries mostly state: 

"[AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)"

but also some entries that state only: 

"authentication failed"

Under Administration > Applications > Jira Service Desk > Email requests, for the support email address I also clicked the "Test" button and it returned "No problems found with email settings configuration. Successfully connected to the specified email server." So the Test connection button works ok despite the intermittent connection errors in the audit log

I am not certain the connectivity failures in the email connectivity log cause emails to not be pulled into Jira - I would have assumed Jira should just detect any unprocessed emails whenever it does successfully connect? But I would like to eliminate these connection failure messages anyway to eliminate them as a possible cause of the unprocessed emails. Does anyone know how to fix these authentication failed log messages?

I did also see this other similar post for the same error text with a fix. However they were getting the error when they clicked the "Test" connection button but I am not, "Test" button works fine for me. And the fix in that post was to change the username to the full email address but I have already done that, so that fix does not work for me.

Can anyone suggest a next step?

4 answers

1 vote
Brendan February 6, 2018

I had submitted a support ticket and heard back today, which I believe has resolved the issue for me.

The reported errors occur when someone is accessing the mailbox.

So make sure the account is setup specifically for JIRA's use only.  Shouldn't be a shared mailbox or part of a distribution list.

As for some emails not being processed, note that if someone reads the email before JIRA's process runs, then a ticket will not be created.

Hope this information is helpful in troubleshooting your issue. 

0 votes
Carlos Yuwono July 5, 2018

I am encountering the same issue, please share the solution if you had found one

0 votes
Brendan February 6, 2018

Gary - 

Not sure if your reported issue has been addressed yet or not, but I am encountering the same issue. 

Originally I thought the issue with emails not being processed was random as well, but after reviewing the timing of the emails against the Connectivity Log and you should find that they are occurring during periods between a failed connection and a successful one.

If you had found a resolution, please share :)

0 votes
gbh2930 January 8, 2018

p.s. this started happening when we set up our email channel for the first time. It is not an existing email channel that has started to have problems, it seems to be an initial setup problem with the email channel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events