Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Channel

Donny Forbes January 28, 2019

I am new to Service Desk. I have it setup right now so that when users send request via email it gets converted and creates a ticket. This is working, however when ever I open the ticket from the web and comment on the ticket the email does not get delivered to the requester inbox. 

Please advice on how to get this setup.  

3 answers

0 votes
Donny Forbes January 29, 2019

How do I grant my user system-administrator access?  I see  this for “Jira Administrator ability to perform most administration functions ( EXCLUDING SMTP Config )

That’s why I believe I am not able to see this option to configure an outgoing SMTP for my Jira Service Desk for the Cloud. 

Does anyone know how to give my-self permission here so I can get the SMTP Outgoing setup?

I was told that the JSD Cloud version doesn't have an SMTP option is that true? 

Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2019

Oh, you're on Cloud. There is a default SMTP Server which you can't change. But you can go to "Send email" in next to Outgoing Mail and see the from address and can send a test as well. 

The default outgoing address is jira@yourdomain.atlassian.net. If not explicit changed in the project settings it's the same for the Service Desk Notification outbound mail.

Then you can potentially check on you mail client / mail admin if you receive it.

ok I will do this. 

Donny Forbes January 30, 2019

I am good now. Got it all working, well this part. 

0 votes
Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2019

Hello @Donny Forbes,

I assume you have to configure your SMTP server in Jira (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-an-smtp-mail-server-to-send-notifications-947184044.html).

As the Jira Service Desk mail channel is only inbound and not outbound.

Kind Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim thanks for getting back to me. I did exactly what this link says to do, however when I go to the Settings -> Mail -> Outgoing Mail all I see is this 

Jira Email Config.JPGThere is no option to configure SMTP for outgoing. I do have Admin permission as well. What am I missing?

Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2019

Hello Donny,

it seems that you are not granted the "System Administrator" permission. So it would make sense to ask the person who grants you the Administrator permission to extend this or check the the current outgoing mail configuration with him.

Otherwise there are options to restore these privileges when you search the documentation. 

Regards,
Tim

0 votes
Donny Forbes January 28, 2019

ANYONE AVAILABLE TO HELP ME OUT WITH THIS? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events