Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effort based prioritization

mdgrkb November 29, 2014

Hi, everybody.

Would like to know if JIRA Service Desk provides a way to input estimate effort for tickets, so that besides SLA, one can see up front if a ticket will not be resolved within SLA, and re-prioritize accordingly.

Say Ticket A resolution SLA is 24 hours and the estimated effort is 8 hours.  Say there's also Tickets B and C in the queue, with resolution SLA 4 hours each.  Say 17 hours have elapsed and (for some reason) no work has been done yet on Ticket A, so we know up front it won't be resolved within SLA.  Can JIRA Service Desk re-prioritize tickets B and C, which can be resolved within SLA (say effort is 2 hours for B and C), and move them up in the queue higher than Ticket A?

Furthermore, can ticket SLA unfulfillment penalty be factored in into the prioritization?  So if penalty for tickets B and C unfulfillment is lower than penalty for ticket A unfulfillment, then ticket A will stay higher than B and C on the queue.

Thanks and regards

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2014

You have a couple options here.

Out of the box

Out of the box, JIRA Service Desk has a couple features worth exploring: JQL (the advanced search query language), agent view queues which are based on it, and labels where you could add any (short) text you like. So the idea would be that you can use labels to add free-form text (so for example you could add 8h as a label), and the agent queue can be re-prioritized based on those labels. I think you could rig up your queues to re-prioritize based on whether the label was filled out.

Customization

All Atlassian products, including both JIRA and JIRA Service Desk, are flexible. We have a plugin system that allows add-ons either for OnDemand or Server editions of our products. If you're willing to invest in building out a customization, you definitely have that option. If you did, I'd imagine building a simple custom field that takes time values; it'd just have the advantage of requiring valid input rather than free-form text.

By the way, I read a blog on this not too long ago. Check out Francoise Tournaire - she's a support consultant who waxed on about this subject recently. Agree, disagree, but it's a nice treaty into the subject: http://ftworks.com/measuring-case-complexity-a-fools-errand.html

0 votes
mdgrkb December 22, 2014

Hi, Jeremy.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe most anything boils down to labels and customization then.

I would think there is no specific add-on yet for the behaviour I depicted.

Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events