E-mail Behavior

James_Mclellan July 26, 2017

I have inbound e-mail configured through 'Project settings' -> 'Customer notifications' and also through 'System' -> 'Mail' -> 'Incoming Mail' under the 'POP / IMAP Mail Servers' and 'Mail Handlers'. Both are configured to be reading from the same support e-mail account (e.g. support@acme.com).

I am seeing some behaviors that I'm not sure I should expect. Could someone help me to understand?

• E-mails that I send from the e-mail address associated with my Service Desk user account (user@acme.com) to the support account create two tickets.
  • E-mails that I send from my user account to the support account do not appear in the support account inbox.
  • E-mails that external customers send to the support account do not create duplicate tickets.
  • E-mails that external customers send to the support account can be seen in the support account inbox.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2017

James,

Incoming mail handler and Service Desk requests are two different ways to handle email and both are independent.

You should use two accounts, one for service desk and one for standard jira mail handler 

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2017

To expand on this a bit:

• Your inbound mail handler in JIRA is likely not configured to archive or delete processed emails. So both it, and Service Desk are processing it.
  • Are you 100% sure? I would check with your mail server admin on this one. It may just get processed faster than you notice it in the inbox.
  • If your inbound mail handler in JIRA is configured to not create accounts, and your "customers" don't already have accounts, it will fail to process, and thus you will have 100% success rate with Service Desk picking it up.
James_Mclellan July 27, 2017

Thank you. I disabled the JIRA mail handler and the duplication stopped.

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2017

Great!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events