Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the confluence KB-server has to be public accessible?

Norman Mähler September 1, 2017

Dear sir or madam,

we want to make our ServiceDesk accessbile by our customers via the internet, but we want to have our Confluence access restricted only for users at our office, in the intranet.

The ServiceDesk Server of course has access to Confluence and makes suggestions for the knowledge base articles, but when you open one of the articles you only get the spinner indicating that the article is loading, but nothing happens.

It works perfectly when the user has access to the Confluence server itself.

Do we have to have a public accessible Confluence instnace to let our customers view the knowledge base articles or is there any kind of setting we just missed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards

Norman Mähler

1 answer

1 vote
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2017

Hi Norman,

Similar question last month:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Service-Desk-questions/Can-Portal-only-users-view-linked-Confluence-Space/qaq-p/623115

Read through to the end synopsis, I think that summarizes it well.  imho, I believe there needs to be some changes in Confluence KB and it's interaction with Service Desk as we too are facing the same problems.

Susan

Norman Mähler September 1, 2017

Hi Susan,

thank you for your fast reply, it does not seem to be the exact same question, but I got myself a bit closer to the problem (not the solution :( ):

ServiceDesk integrates the kb articles from Confluence via an IFrame. That means the user who wants to read it has to be able to connect directly to the Confluence server.

In my opinion ServiceDesk should fetch the article from Confluence via API and show it to the user from itself, but unforunately it integrates Confluence directly.

We now end up in setting up a seceond, complete new instance of confluence only for our kb articles which is just a workaround, but we do not want to make our internal Confluence accesible by internet users.

Norman

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events