Does every Agent in JIRA need a license in Service Desk?

For example, our developers are JIRA agents, but would not but utilizing the Service Desk add on - when calculating the licenses we need for Service Desk, do I need to count the JIRA agents who will not be using Service Desk?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

Yes, but no.

Each person who needs to be an Agent in Service Desk needs a licence.  If they do not need to be an agent, then don't make them an agent.  A "JIRA Agent who will not be using service desk" is pointless - they don't need to be Agents, so drop them out of the Agent group and they won't count.  I think you need to decide whether your developers really are agents or not.

Yes it's useless to promote some interal to Agents rols, it only costs you a service desk license.

I believe it depends on Service Desk version you use. In SD prior to 2.0 you had to match your SD license with your JIRA license but starting with SD 2.0 Atlassian introduced new licencing scheme:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/JIRA+Service+Desk+licensing

There NOT everyone who is JIRA user has to be agent in SD but only people who work on customer issues. 

Deborah, for clarity, the company developers are JIRA users, but not Service Desk Agents. It may seem like a technicality, but each term has a specific meaning in this case.

Thank you, that is exactly what the issue was. I was able to figure it out from the link provided by RVal. Thanks everyone :)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

784 views 5 7
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you