Does Jira Service Desk have these features?

Jason Freeman September 14, 2017

Disclaimer: I know very little about Jira in general.  I have installed an evaluation verison of Jira Service Desk, but it's very overwhelming.

I'm looking for a ticketing system for my organization of about 110 employees.

Those 110 employees will be able to submit tickets to the IT department and the Maintenance/Facilities department.  There are 5 IT employees and 2 Maintenance/Facilities employees who will be agents.

I am more than willing to learn how to do these things on my own, but at this point, I just want to know if the following things are possible:

• Can Jira Service Desk do ticket approvals in this way: approval by the submitter's supervisor (which obviously changes submitter-by-submitter), followed by a specific person (that doesn't change)?
  • Do the approvers have to be licenced agents?  Or can regular users do approvals, too?  (If approvers have to be licensed agents, this would substantially increase our costs.)
  • I see that Jira Service Desk has many types of requests: Service Requests, Incidents, Changes, etc.  We would not want any of this.  Can we disable or at least not use this stuff?
  • Is it possible to make it where IT staff don't see Maintenance/Facilities tickets by default?
  • Is it reasonable to use Jira Service Desk for Maintenance/Facilities tickets, or is Jira Service Desk specifically built around IT tickets?
  • Can we make it where users can't cancel their tickets?
  • Can we disable SLA features altogether?
  • Can we make it where users cannot edit their full name in their user profile?

As I said, I'm not looking for a step-by-step; I just want to know if the above is possible and reasonable.

Thank you.

4 answers

0 votes

I read this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/setting-up-approvals-816880004.html

Seems to indicate that if I want supervisor approval that the ticket submitters have to choose their supervisor from a list. Is that the only way to do supervisor approval? Or is that what you were talking about with the "scriptrunner?"

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2017

Yes, if the user is not supposed to select the approver, you can code a custom logic to add the approvers to the issue based on your criteria ( for example, the supervisor role )

0 votes

Wow, thanks for all the great answers. And so quickly, too.

I want to be sure we are on the same page about the approvals because so few other service desk software programs will do this.

So, the user submits the request. It first needs to be approved by the user's supervisor. Then, if the supervisor approves, it moves to a specific person for approval (let's say it is the Vice President). The Vice President is always the same person. If the Vice President approves, then agents are free to work on it.

1. So, the above is possible?

2. How does it know who the supervisors are? Is it a big deal when someone leaves? In the past, we basically had to rebuild the org chart in a service desk program we used to have, and it was very annoying.

On an unrelated note, had a coworker who wants to know this: in the request form, can we put exactly which questions we want? Or are some questions required by Jira Service Desk? 

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2017

Yes, It's possible.

Maybe you need to implement a simple script in scriptrunner or some similar tool to define the decision making process.

But that's all,

You're free to put any field you wan't, the only limitation is that the field should be supported by service desk, you can customize the form to your needs.

the standard fields like radio checkbox, single and multiple selectors, textboxes, etc are supported!

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2017

I'll try to answer:

• Can Jira Service Desk do ticket approvals in this way: approval by the submitter's supervisor (which obviously changes submitter-by-submitter), followed by a specific person (that doesn't change)? YES, YOU CAN ACHIEVE THIS
  • Do the approvers have to be licenced agents?  Or can regular users do approvals, too?  (If approvers have to be licensed agents, this would substantially increase our costs.) NO, THEY CAN BE PORTAL USERS WITHOUT LICENSE
  • I see that Jira Service Desk has many types of requests: Service Requests, Incidents, Changes, etc.  We would not want any of this.  Can we disable or at least not use this stuff?YES, THIS IS THE DEFAULT SETUP, BUT THE REQUEST TYPE DEFINITION IS UP TO YOU
  • Is it possible to make it where IT staff don't see Maintenance/Facilities tickets by default? YES, YOU CAN CREATE ISSUE SECURITY LEVEL SCHEMES FOR THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR
  • Is it reasonable to use Jira Service Desk for Maintenance/Facilities tickets, or is Jira Service Desk specifically built around IT tickets? IT'S OK, JIRA IS USED IN ALL KIND OF PROCESSES, THERE'S COMPANIES DOING THEIR BILLING PROCESS WITH JIRA FOR EXAMPLE.
  • Can we make it where users can't cancel their tickets? YES
  • Can we disable SLA features altogether? YES
  • Can we make it where users cannot edit their full name in their user profile? YES, THE USERS WILL BE CREATED FROM A DIRECTORY SERVICE?
0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2017

You can do approvals.  Mine are agents, but i haven't confirmed if they need to be these days.  The request types are up to you.  You can have one or many request workflows.

You can use Jira service desk for many applications.  facilities requests, IT requests, legal requests, HR requests, IT requests. -  its flexible.

You can choose to not use SLA's or tune them to where they're useful for you.  You can also lock users name.

Overall service desk is extremely flexible and there are marketplace add-ons that make it even better.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2017

approvers do not need to be agents. Approvers will get emails and they can approve/reject from the email.

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2017

Awesome.  I want to say that changed at some point in JSD, but couldn't recall ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events