Display who is currently on duty

Stefan Stark October 15, 2019

Hi everyone,

we have a team of roughly 10 people working on our Jira Service Desk issues. One or two people should always monitor newly submitted requests during our office hours, evaluate them, escalate them if necessary etc. The others can work on issues that take a bit longer and don't need to constantly monitor what's coming in. 

We have created organizational rules who should do this monitoring, but it would be great to have Jira Service Desk or an integrated app display who is "on duty". We would like to have both: the possibility to set up a schedule but also (maybe even more importantly) the possibility to somehow "log into" this monitoring task on the spot, for example if someone has to leave and a colleague takes over. I haven't found anything on that but maybe because I also lack the right terminology. I have looked into OpsGenie, but as I understand that is more for "on-call" situations, where an emergency should notify a person out of the office. My request is not about notifications, it is about transparency internally who currently has the lead for monitoring new requests and can be approached by internal colleagues if there are brief questions. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Stefan

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2019

Opsgenie can be used to manage the on call rotation, including allowing for overrides and such. It is actually a pretty good tool for that. You dont have to use the notification features if you dont want. (though its great for that too)

As for getting the current on call user to display in jira, you can use a scripted custom field, that can use the opsgenie api to look up the current on call user and display it. That said, I'm not sure this is the best option, as every ticket view would be making an opsgenie call. You might be better of having an external script periodically call out to opsgenie and update a text file. and then have your custom field look up that text file.

Stefan Stark October 21, 2019

Thank you for your answer. I will have another look at OpsGenie then!

Stefan Stark December 9, 2019

We have tested OpsGenie and are going with it for our use-case. We have not solved the part to display who is currently on-call in Jira. I have tried it with the Text Gadget of the dashboard, but because of CORS setting calling the OpsGenie API was not possible. We might look at other ways to do this in future. Thanks for the answers, everyone.

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2019
Stefan Stark October 21, 2019

Thank you Susan for your input. I will look at this App to see if it fits my needs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events