Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different SLAs for different issues...

Simon Bauer November 12, 2014

Hey, it's me again. Still fiddeling around with Service Desk and I still have questions. wink

So... I've created 3 different SLAs. The difference between them is how quick the Agents have to react to a new issue and how much time they have to resolve the issue.

The thing is: When I create a new issue for testing purposes, there's no point where I can assignt that issue to a specific SLA.

So for example if the issue is a "category 2" issue, how do I assign it to my "category 2" SLA?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
jon-paul cameron November 12, 2014

Simon

I believe you just need to add parameters into the Goals section - I have a Response Time and Time to Resolution SLA mix, where in the Goals I have assigned different values depending on who the Reporter is, what Team the assignee is in, and a custom field value whether the Ticket is made Tier 1, 2 or 3. It should just be simple JQL under the Issues box to find the "category 2" type you need to then assign a value. You then do not need multiple SLAs, just multiple Goals based on the one SLA.

Any help?

Jp

2 votes
Lindsay Barton November 17, 2014

It sounds like you want to let your agents choose the SLA level when an issue comes in. In order to do this, they will need to be able to edit a field that is tied to the JQL in the SLA. One option would be to set up your SLAs to look something like this:

SLA Category 1
JQL: priority = Blocker

SLA Category 2
JQL: priority in (Critical, Major)

etc.

Similarly, you could create a custom field called "Category" and set up JQL for various SLAs by looking at that custom field. In either of these two situations, when an issue comes in, your agents will be able to assign the Priority or the Category to an issue – which, in turn, selects the SLA the issue will be counted against.

Alternatively, if a networking error is always more important than a change request, then another option would be to set up your SLAs based on issue type, e.g.:

SLA Category 1
JQL: issuetype = networking

SLA Category 2
JQL: issuetype = "change request" 

In this way, your agents wouldn't have to assign a Priority or Category every time. Instead, by the very nature that a particular issue is a Networking issue, you know that it should be counted against SLA Category 1.

Simon Bauer November 17, 2014

Thanks for the answer. I think I'll dig a little deeper in JQL then. Do you know, where I can find more information or examples for that. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything in the Jira Service Desk Documentation.

Lindsay Barton November 17, 2014

Most of the JIRA documentation also applies to Service Desk, since Service Desk is an add-on on top of JIRA. Some info about how to do advanced searching is here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching That documentation is extensive and helpful. Once you've created your query, you can double check it by going to Issues -> Search for issues to see if the issues you're expecting to get returned are actually those that get returned.

Simon Bauer November 17, 2014

Thanks, I'll dig into that! :)

Simon Bauer November 19, 2014

So I've created three different functions and tied them to the three SLAs. Now if an issue comes in, it is automatically categorized in one of those three SLAs. But if I create an issue for testint purposes, it shows me how much time I have left for resolving it in all three SLAs, not just the one it's categorized in. Any ideas, why taht's the case?

Lindsay Barton November 20, 2014

If an issue has trackers for multiple SLAs, then that means it meets the criteria for multiple SLAs. The JQL in your Goals should be modified so that an issue only meets the criteria for one SLA. If all three of your SLAs are about Time to Resolution, though, and all of the Start / Pause on / Stop conditions are the same, then it would be cleaner and easier for reporting to combine these three SLAs into one SLA with three Goals. This is explained in more detail here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/SLAs

Simon Bauer November 20, 2014

Thanks! The problem was, that I created three different SLAs with one JQL each. One SLA with three different JQL criterias is a much cleaner solution (and it works for me). Today I have to showcase my Test Service Desk I've created and a whitepaper to our management board. So wish me luck. ;)

Lindsay Barton November 21, 2014

:-D I hope they love it!

Simon Bauer November 25, 2014

Thanks, I think they're at least considering it. But who ever knows, what the management is up to... ;) I still have a question tough: A created issue now automatically gets tied to the correct SLA. But when i view my open queues, the "time to resolution" doesn't get displayed. Screenshot: http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/79a4a6-1416994254.jpg Any ideas?

Simon Bauer November 25, 2014

Never mind, just found it out. :)

0 votes
Simon Bauer November 12, 2014

" ... I have assigned different values depending on who the Reporter is, what Team the assignee is in ..."

I think that won't work, because we don't make any difference who the customer is. We separate how important an issue is. For example a networking error is more importand than a simple change request - regardless, who the customer is.

So the same customer/reporter can create issues in all 3 categories and I want it to be up to the agent to decide, which SLA he assigns the issue to. smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events