Hi

How would you be able to add a set of approvers and another set of approvers to cover a single point of approval (failure)?

A request needs to be approved by all heads of department or by their backup/deputies.

I can add the heads of department to the approvers and configure that everybody needs to approve, but what the (sometimes) optional approvers?

Thanks in advance.

Koen

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Jack Brickey Community Champion Nov 08, 2017

I assume the following scenario is what you are going for.

You need approvals from all department heads or their proxy, e.g.

• Dept1 or Dept1 proxy, and
  • Dept2 or Dept2 proxy, and
  • Dept3 or Dept3 proxy

this get's messy as there currently is not notion of having a proxy approvers. Here is what you could do:

have an approval status for each dept (3 in the scenario above) and set the approvers for each to be the two approvers for that dept (primary and proxy) then set it to be 'any one of' for approval to proceed. The approvals would be serialized and cascade: Dept1 can approve/decline if approved Dept2 has the ball to approve/decline, etc.

IMO, and it is only an opinion, I would handle proxies differently. I would allow add a by-pass to the approval allowing the agent to handle moving the issue forward if any one of the primary approvers was absent. The agents role in this case is to get the proxy approver to comment in the ticket as to their proxy vote and once all votes are cast the agent can transition. It all depends on how formal the process needs to be here.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

789 views 5 7
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you