Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customers I have invited are automatically added as user of our JSD instance

JC Asagra March 25, 2018

I've added customers through the Customers in the left pane. When they raised a ticket on our Support Portal they've been automatically added as a user in the User Management which consumes 1 agent space from our license.

Aside from they've been added as user, they are also added on the 3 groups (users, developers and administrators)

I would like to know if this is how really JIRA Service Desk work? or I just need to change something in the configuration. We thought Agents are the Support team and customers can raise requests/issues without consuming an agent license.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nguyen Tran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2018

Hi JC Asagra,

If you're adding customer through the Customer menu on the left pane, your customer shouldn't be added as an agent let alone added to the other 3 groups. You should check your default group for customer.

Regards,

JC Asagra March 26, 2018

@Nguyen Tran Thank you for your reply. 

That is what I am expecting as well since he/she is a customer. Can you give me pointers on what configuration I should check? Also, where can I check/update the default group for customer?

Nguyen Tran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2018

If you're on server and connecting to a LDAP directory. Please kindly refer to this documentation on setting default group membership.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/connecting-to-an-ldap-directory-861253200.html

JC Asagra March 26, 2018

Thank you. I will look into it.

Jo Steele May 19, 2018

I had the same issue with Jira Cloud. New customers creating customer accounts were instantly being given a service desk license. Something changed recently as we had no issues up until a couple of months ago. Found a setting in: User Management > Application Access > User Defaults...at some point this had changed to have Jira Service Desk and Jira Software selected as a default for new users.

thurst May 3, 2023

@Jo Steele @Nguyen Tran I am running in to this same issue in Jira Cloud but Jira has changed their Admin interface so I am unable to find the setting that controls this.

As a summary, we are adding users as Customers in our Jira Cloud Service Desk. It seems that once a new customer submits a ticket, they are automatically added as a user. Once this creates them as a user, the system is then automatically adding them to the 'Default Groups' for our products (Confluence and Jira Service Desk). This is basically creating an automatic process where new customers who should only be able to submit tickets are getting licensed as confluence and service desk users. Do you have any advice? Thanks!

Like Silvia Pfeiffer likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events