Customer Portal-user should not be able to edit own user-details

Hi Community!

I should be able to prevent Customer Portal-users editing their own user information (e-mailaddress, name, etc.) in our JIRA-instance. If they do, some important functionality would break in this instance.

Can this be done by editing some serverfile, or installing a plug-in?

Thank you & have a nice day!
Stijn

1 answer

0 votes

User accounts in Jira have always been able to edit their own account.  Even service desk users can do this.   While there is not a specific setting you can change to prevent this, there might be another way to achieve this.

For example, if you're using a Jira Server platform (not Jira Cloud), you can add to Jira different types of external user directories.  If all these users exist in an LDAP or Active Directory server, then you could connect this to Jira in order to sync the users, their names, email addresses, etc into Jira.  There is an option when connecting these directories to Jira to be Read-only.  In which case, if you were using this, and that directory contained the users in question, then technically Jira itself can't change the user account information in that directory.

But that directory could be changed (by an LDAP administrator) and in turn have those changes synced into Jira.   But this is the only way I can see Jira being able to have all that information, but then not allow the end user to change the data there.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Dec 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

Looking for teams who switched from email to Jira Service Desk

The Jira Service Desk marketing team is working on a guide to help new Atlassian customers switch from email to JSD and we'd love to hear from you! Please share: - What made you realize that i...

249 views 1 6
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you