Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Only account lockouts

Josh Aufderheide April 5, 2019

I have been noticing that when customers lock their Jira service desk account, that when an administrator password changes are not unlocking the account. In the past we would change the password and that would unlock the account. There is not a unlock account utility that I am aware of in Jira Service Desk. 

How should customer only accounts be unlocking their account?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Josh Aufderheide April 5, 2019

Hi Angelica, 

Thanks you for your help!. 

They do get the "your account is locked due to multiple failed attempts" please use "Forget Password to reset your password"

I changed the password first and it did not take. Their account was still locked. 

We then used the Forget Password option and the customer was able to get an email, change their password and get unlocked. 

The problem with that is many of our customers work in call centers and due to Security they do not have an actual email attached to their Customer account. So "Forget Password" would not work for these users. We would have to be able to reset the password to unlock.

We also use Okta to store passwords and sign into Jira. It could be that the password became correct when setting it in both of these systems.

Cheers,

Josh

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2019

I've tested on my local environment and I was able to replicate the same behaviour. When the account is locked only the reset password link can unlock it. I've tried to disable the account and wait 10 minutes and then activate again setting a password, but it didn't work.
In this case, the best option would be to use a real email that they can access the inbox to reset the password or when they forget the password, ask an administrator to create a new one before the account gets locked.

Josh Aufderheide April 8, 2019

Oh Man, 

That does not really work in our environment we would have to overhaul some company policies and practices. Is there a countdown on when the account will be unlocked again? One of the users I have ran into this issue but a few days later she was able to put in tickets again?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2019

Hi Josh,

Just to give you an update that I'm checking with the dev team if there is any countdown for the locked accounts because I didn't find this information on our documentation. I'll post here as soon as I get a response.

Regards,
Angélica

Debbie Heard June 20, 2019

I too have a customer who has locked themselves our of their service desk portal.  Ive tried to reset his password but he is still locked out.  Can anyone advise on what we can try next please?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 21, 2019

Hi Debbie,

Are they using a real account where they can access the inbox or is it an account that doesn't exist?
If it's a real account, they must reset the password through the email. If it's an email that does not exist, you must create a ticket with our support as mentioned on one of my responses, since we will have to access your instance in order to fix the issue.

Regards,
Angélica

Debbie Heard June 24, 2019

Hi, my customer is using a real email address.  I have raised a ticket with your support desk.  Will update further when the issue has been resolved.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 12, 2019

Hi Josh,

I confirmed with our dev team that there is no countdown to unlock the account, but there is a workaround for that, I've tested here using an email that does not exist and it works.

To apply this workaround we will have to access your instance, so I created a ticket with our support. As the ticket is private, then you can share there the affected email, so they will create a new password for the customer.

You will receive a notification about the ticket and soon someone will contact you.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2019

Hi Josh,

Just for us to better understand and help you with this issue, can you please let us know if they are facing any error when they try to login after an administrator set a new password?
As you are a site-admin, can you please set a password for the customer and then go to the portal to try to log in?

If they click on "Forgot your password?", are they receiving the email to reset their password?

Please, let us know more details about what are customers facing when they try to log in.

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events