cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Issue notifications not being consistently sent/received

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

So I have been struggling w/ finding the cause to a create notification issue and hoping someone in the Community can kick me in the right direction.

I have a project in JSD w/ a couple agent. One of the agents came to me a month or so back indicating that they are not always getting notified on issue create. Just now he came to me w/ a fresh example of this. Two issues created w/in an hour of each other, one results in email notification one does not. Both created thru portal, same issue type, same priority, etc. I check the Notification Helper for both w/ same results that he should be notified.

Anyone seen this or have ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2018

This kind of intermittent problem can be really difficult to troubleshoot if you can't actually see the logs that Jira is creating at the time this happens.  Right now we don't know if the message is just not being received OR if the message is not actually be generated by Jira.

The first is an indication of a mail routing problem that could be cause by a number of SMTP configuration / spam filters / etc.

But if the problem is the second one, then that is a problem with Jira itself.   If you were running Jira Server, I would recommend turning on the debug logging for outgoing mail, and then recreate the problem.   If the message is being created by Jira, that log should at least show the message was generated and handed off to the SMTP server (after that Jira doesn't know or have any control over whether or not the end user actually gets the message).   But if the message is not generated in that debug log, then we at least narrowed the problem down to the message not getting created.

Since we know this is a Jira Cloud instance, I would actually recommend creating a support ticket at https://getsupport.atlassian.com and provide in that the dates/times of the example messages.  Those might help, but that might not.  It is possible that our Cloud support team might need to enable the debug logging packages here before the problem happens to be able to better understand what the source of the problem here is.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2019

ran across this old issue. i think the cause was that i had an agent also listed as a customer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events