Confused by the way service desk displays SLA timers

Olivier Ozoux January 27, 2014

I'm confused by the way Service Desk is displaying time for SLA timers, but I don't know if it's caused by our server vs client timezones.

1. Client enters an issue at 11:09 AM (PST) Jira server uses UTC as timezone.
  2. Agent answers the ticket 8min later.

However the display seems to indicate that it took 7 hours and 52 minutes to respond to the ticket, instead of 0:08 as I was expecting.

Shouldn't these timers switch from countdown mode to actual values when they are completed? It's really weird to think of 7:52 for a 8:00 SLA contract being good, but 0:08 being almost a breach of contract.

Maybe if these were dynamic countdown clocks rather than static, or if the label said "Time left to first response" instead.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Ruflin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2014

The time displayed in the SLA field is always the remaining time, for both ongoing and completed SLAs (which in either case can be negative too!). JIRA vs client timezone should not have any impact at all.

The reports are a better place to look at if you want to know how long issues (on average) took for a given SLA.

Olivier Ozoux April 3, 2014

BTW, while I agree about your point about the reports. the SLA UI needs to be able to display ELAPSED and REMAINING time.

You're welcome to argue with me that displaying a green, happy "23:52" next to text that says "Time waiting for Support, within 24 hours" implies that what I'm looking at is not in fact the "Time waiting for Support" but the time remaining on the SLA contract.

the fact that I have to do math in my head, rather than having a computer do it for me is a strong hint that something is amiss.

The ticket above was resolved in 8min. not (24:00 minus 23:52), or (96:00 minus 95:52) or even (8:00 minus 7:52 )

Like # people like this
Carol Jones June 2, 2016

@Michael Ruflin – Is there currently a ticket open for @Olivier Ozoux's suggestion?  We are looking for the same functionality as we currently have to export the data for management and do the math externally to the Service Desk which introduces unnecessary human error.  This should be a configurable option at the project level within Service Desk.

Like # people like this
tommy June 23, 2021

I know this is an old thread but I just came across this today. I created a feature request for it over here! https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-10113

0 votes

We already released Toolbox for JIRA Service Desk and you can display SLA elapsed times as a custom field with different formats,

• Default View ( dd:hh:mm )
  • Friendly ( XXd XXh XXm )
  • Millisecond ( XXXXXX msec )

Moreover, You can contact with info@kostebekteknoloji.com for your other format requests and new requests for JIRA Service Desk functionality to extend our plugin.

Best regards,

0 votes
Senaka Nawaratne January 12, 2016

The user should be given the option to decide which way around, right now i export JIRA activity per project and create my own spreadsheet based reports, its proving to be impossible without some hacks to create a report when it comes to responce and resolution times as a count  down timer, 

please change it we just want it to show a simple count of the time taken.

thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events