Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure one in- and outgoing email per project

Erik Norman May 25, 2018

Hello,

I want to create two separate projects "Service" and "Support" with mail address service@foo.com and support@foo.com.

Reading through your documentation and support groups, I stumbled on the following page:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Outgoing-email-address-based-on-project/qaq-p/228515

The last post explains, that this is possible by using aliases, so I could have one account, e.g. noreply@foo.com, retrieve all incoming mail and split by recipient, and when sending the "from" address will be accepted since it is an alias.

I have created such an email account with aliases, I can retrieve the mail correctly. I have configured the first project as follows (please disregard the authentication error):

support.png

I configured the email request for the second project as shown here:

service.png

After selecting the request type I cannot continue:

error_message.png

Btw: the "troubleshooting docs" link goes to a dead end. 
Searching online for "Unable to create new mail channel due to connection duplication. Provided mail connection definition is currently used by another mail channel." I found this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/unable-to-create-new-email-channel-due-to-connection-duplication-error-827338480.html 

However, when performing the queries as indicated, I do have entries in the table AO_54307E_EMAILCHANNELSETTING, so I'd guess it isn't the same issue.

I've backed up the system and the log files to be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gco11u1ersxtt94/AACiVoFGdLR_XS13cePywoFDa?dl=0

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Erik Norman May 25, 2018

I found it!

I did not set Email requests, but configured two email handlers, one per project, with the "Catch Email Address" property set to the corresponding alias.
I also configured separate notification schemes, to allow for separate "from" addresses for the email responses.

Tested it, and it works fine.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2018

@Erik Norman, I think that you are approaching this wrong. It appears you are trying to use Jira's email channels for JSD. JSD has it's own email handler. To set up an email for JSD you should go to project - Settings > Email Requests. Here is a link to the documentation Note this is for v3.12 your version might be different.

Erik Norman May 25, 2018

Hello @Jack Brickey, thanks for your reply.

My mail provider doesn't allow to use SMTP with any "from" address, and in JSD there is only one SMTP server setting available. The possibility to add one SMTP server per project or notification schema would solve my problems. 

However, in the meantime I looked for workarounds, and I found the suggestion to work with mail aliases. Sounds great, use one email account for everything and one alias per project.

However, that won't work, I tried exactly those steps:

I went to project Support -> Email requests and added the email account noreply@foo.com with alias support@foo.com .

I repeated the same steps for project Service with the email account noreply@foo.com with alias service@foo.com BUT the error message appeared.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events