Configure more than one email channels in a project

Guillermo Rosas December 15, 2017

Hello, We would like to know if we can configure more than one email channels for one service desk project.

This is because we would like to create three channels to attend issues in the same project.

Regards.

8 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2017

You are only allowed to have a single email address (Channel) associated with a each service desk.  You can however have use email aliases to point to the service desk email allowing you to have multiple email addresses.  

For example you might have a service desk configured to use email@servicedesk.com and then point two aliases emailalias1@servicedesk.com and emailalias2@servicedesk.com to email@servicedesk.com.  This is what we do and is the only work around at this time.

Thanks for the response,

How can we create and then configure and match each email alias with an specific customer request type, and respond the customers with the appropriate email alias.

Is possible to do it?

Regards.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2017

When the email requests come in via the alias, the alias is attached as a request participant.  We then use automation rules to apply a component placing it in the proper queue.  All emails go out through the same address but when the user responds the JIRA email handler is able to match them into the proper service desk.

Like # people like this

Dear Brant,

Thanks a lot.

I have solved my problem following your suggestions.

Regards :)

Guillermo Rosas December 18, 2017

I have an adittional question, if I add a comment, the email go out through email@bookingmotor.com, then when the customer responses the email, Jira match that email with the created issue, is it right?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2017

Yes, JIRA will match it up once it is pulled from the other email address and processed.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2017

as long as the issue key is in the subject it will match and add the comment from the body of the email. So as long as the subject isn't edited you should be good.

Thank you

Is it possible to set the email go out through the alias?,  customers may understand that next time could open a new case emailing to the main adress.

Regards

Guillermo Rosas December 19, 2017

Currently, I got realized that the only email that goes out is the main email.

Now I have another issue, I have set the alias and made the automation rules, the first day was OK, but now I see, that each time someone opens a case through the alias email, in the ticket there is no one on request participant, so it affect to the automation rule. is it any configuration do I have to check?

Regards.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2017

That does not sound like a JIRA issue.  It sounds like they are forwarding the email address and not configuring it as an alias.  I would work with the individual who configured the alias to see how it is sending.  

Guillermo Rosas December 19, 2017

I talked to the person who made the alias and he told me the set is ok.

Then I made some tests and I have realized that everything is right if I create the ticket from my agent email (that email is registered as an agent administrator in ServiceDesk), the alias is put automatically as a request participant.

On the other hand, if I create a ticket through another email (my personal email in Hotmail for instance), the ticket is created but the alias is not added as a request participant.

Do you think it could be affected by a default rule on ServiceDesk?

Regards.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2017

In the administration portion of the Service Desk please navigate to customer permissions and let me know what "Who can customers share requests with?" is set to.  I think that is the issue.  It needs to be Any Customer..... or Any Customer or Organization....

Guillermo Rosas January 4, 2018

Hi!! 

Sorry for not respond, these days I have been on vacations, I hope you spent a Merry Christmass and a Happy new year.

Well, I checked this out and that feature is set to "Other clients in your organization"

Regards

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

If you set it to any of the other two options then it should work.

Guillermo Rosas January 4, 2018

Yes!! I have changed the options, then it worked.

Thanks a lot, dude!!!

Klaus Krehbiel February 1, 2018

Hello !

We are just testing Jira and one important point is, that we have diffrent eMail-adresses (more than 10!) that need to be in defined queues.

Know I read this discussion and I will test it. But I can't find, where I must set the queue in the automation rules. Can you show me a example?

Best regards

Klaus

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2018

We setup our aliases so that they come in with the regular email address and are added to the issue as a request participant.  We then use an automation that triggers on create.  When a request participant of the specific email alias is found we then either apply a request type or on service desks with lots of email addresses we use components and update the issue to have the proper component.  Our queues are written to filter on component so the issues go to the correct queue.

Like Olli Suokas likes this
Olli Suokas January 21, 2019

@Brant Schroeder How can I achieve this:

"We setup our aliases so that they come in with the regular email address and are added to the issue as a request participant."

To be clear, this is the scenario:

1. Customer sends email to mailbox2@mail.com 
2. mailbox2@mail.com is an alias address for mailbox1@mail.com
3. The email goes to the Inbox of mailbox1@mail.com 
4. JIRA Service Desk checks the inbox of mailbox1 and creates an issue from the email
5. mailbox2@mail.com is added as a participant in the created issue

How exactly is this done? I have a mailbox configured to our JSD project and its working great but If I add an alias address to it, the mail just goes to the inbox and gets created without participants?

Is there something that I have to do in my mail server's configuration?
I've been searching for the answer all day based on this thread and I can't seem to find the solution and its killing me.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2019

Sorry for the delay this is what we are doing:

1. There is a Shared Mailbox (email1@email.com) that is enabled as a service account (i.e. AD user object is not disabled). This is what Jira checks via IMAP.
  2. There is a Shared Mailbox (email2@email.com). This account uses an Exchange forward, not an inbox redirect rule, to send mail to email1@email.com.  This is how almost all email is delivered to Jira via the email2@email.com email address.
Like # people like this
Olli Suokas January 30, 2019

Ok thanks, that's not an alias address, that is just an email forwarding rule from one mailbox to another.

So all in all, if I have 10 mailboxes and another mailbox for JIRA Service Desk, I would create forwarding rules to each of the ten mailboxes and then I could use the Participant added -automation?

Olli Suokas January 30, 2019

I've tested the scenario you described above with two GMail accounts and mail forwarding is the answer here, mailbox alias address would not work with JIRA since alias address overwrites the original recipient mailbox address when the email arrives.

Like Heather R likes this
Nick Read September 10, 2020

Hi - I don't want to change either of the customer permission settings, but I do want to have my aliases populate the request participant field. Is this possible?

3 votes
Sheng An Zhang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2021

Hey all, 

I am a Product Manager on the Jira Service Management team. As this is a strong candidate for our roadmap, I would love to speak to some of you on your needs and the specific use cases behind multiple email addresses. Your input and time will help us better create a feature that serves you! 

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me at szhang4@atlassian.com so that we can set up a time for us to speak.

Look forward to hearing from you.

1 vote
Christopher Thorpe August 1, 2019

@Brant Schroeder "When the email requests come in via the alias, the alias is attached as a request participant". Is this be defaults or will I need to modify my mail handler settings to make this happen?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2019

This happens by default for us because of how we have the alias associated with the email address in O365.  I would assume that if you get the address to Jira via the email it will automatically add it.  

Olli Suokas August 1, 2019

Hi Christopher, see my reply from January (few posts above). An alias address is not added as a participant but another email address is which forwards the original email to the one attached to your JSD project.

Christopher Thorpe August 1, 2019

Thank you Brant and Olli!

Christian Sorbello September 10, 2023

@Brant Schroeder 

Can you clarify this please? How does Jira know to make the alias a request participant? Is the alias BCCd on the email?

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2017

With cloud you can actually have two emails. Atlassian provides one project@urcompany.atlassian.net and you can define one of your own, e.g. helpdesk@urcompany.com. While I have not done so you should be able to assign each email to a different request type.

Dear Jack

Thanks for the response, I forgot to mention that I am working with the software.

Regards

0 votes
Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

Atlassian has enabled SPF checks for Servicedesk Email  which completely breaks this suggested solution

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-discussions/Additional-SPF-validation-being-added-to-incoming-mail-in-Jira/td-p/1432137#M11592

Any idea how to fix this ? 

0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Hello there :)

I'm encountering a bit of an issue... hopefully someone can tell me what I'm messing up. 

• I'm using a webmail address. Hosted by Arsys
  • I've set up my Service Desk project to create issues from emails receives in test@... [working]
  • I've set up another account (test1@...)  and I'm forwarding every received email to test@... [working]
  • Forwarded messages appear in the inbox of test@... as sent from the customer TO test1@... (destinatary, as you can see from this screen capture in spanish)

Sin título.png

• The corresponding ticket in Jira is created correctly BUT it is my understanding that test1@... should be added as a participant so I can then create my automation and redirect the issue based on that (watcher, shared with... something). I'm not seeing this anywhere. All I have is the reporter, meaning the customer who sent the email to test1@...

Sin título.png

• I have created a customer in Jira for test1@... and that user has been added to my Service Desk proyect. I can manually add it to the watchers list. 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Andrew Hatch February 6, 2019

@Brant Schroeder Forgive my dumbness, but your excellent flow above is exactly what I want, but when I update the value for the ' Request participants' to use the email being forwarded, it remaps it to a new value (a big odd hash), however the automation tool allows it. 

Unfortunately, the component condition doesn't seem to trigger. Is the value in the 'in' field supposed to be a different data type ? Without disclosing it above, can you tell me what type of value is allowed there ?

Andrew Hatch February 11, 2019

I'm soooo close ! However, I can't get the automation to 'match' the 'Request Participant' email address I'm specifying. It auto-populates the big 'qm' value, but won't accept the literal string. Am I missing something ?

Jotham Ty May 24, 2019

@Andrew Hatch Were you able to find a fix for your issue? I'm coming across the same exact scenario!

Andrew Hatch May 24, 2019

I did ! The issue I had is that the the QM/hash value only appears with emails that have been seen within the system. So it was dumb, but just send an 'invite user' to that generic email forwarding account and I could select it. 

It's crazy annoying that I can't clearly see or label that ridiculous hash, but I can usually figure it out contextually in some of the other conditions I have set up.

Jotham Ty May 24, 2019

Thank you, that's very helpful!

0 votes
Tony Young January 10, 2019

Team,

Thanks for sharing this information. Is there any chance someone could provide a more detailed setup on what the automation rule looks like? I'd like to use this approach but unsure how to set up the rules

-Tony

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2019

Our aliases come in as a request participant on the email request.  We just use the following to capture it and then add a component for the proper queue.  automation.PNG

Like Jakob Moll likes this
Tony Young January 14, 2019

Excellent, thank you very much!

Kelly Clarke September 30, 2019

i

Aarron Szalacinski October 7, 2019

Where is that workflow builder located as shown in the attached image?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2019

Aarron,

If you edit the workflow you can do so in text or diagram mode.  Just change it to diagram.

Thanks
Brant

That's the issue workflow editor? Or it's a workflow editor that appears once I map an IMAP server?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2019

It is the workflow editor for the workflow associated with that particular issue.

It doesn't look like a workflow editor i have ever seen but will go with your direction. Is that the workflow editor for the NEW projects rather than the classic projects?

Thanks again.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2019

Aarron,

Sorry I apologize I did not look at the image well enough.  It is not a workflow editor at all.  The image above is a screenshot of the automation editor.  On the service desk you can setup automations and that is what is being displayed in that image.  Sorry for the confusion.  Some more information about automations here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/set-up-rules-to-automate-repetitive-tasks/

Ah. No worries! Thanks for clarifying!

Aarron Szalacinski October 10, 2019

So i have my automation set up as you described however the Issue Match on Request Participants fails. If I input the same exact JQL into search, results are returned as expected for the request participant. What am I missing?

image.pngimage.png

Peter Reiser October 15, 2019

I have exactly the same issue in Jira Servicedesk Cloud.

Is this a bug ? 

So  i have my automation set up as you described however the Issue Match on Request Participants fails. If I input the same exact JQL into search, results are returned as expected for the request participant. What am I missing?

Joel Bradley April 24, 2020

Same. I'm on cloud and cannot get this to work for more. The participating requestor is set correctly, and the rule is set up correctly, but the rule will not fire.

Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2020

@Joel Bradley For the automation rule you have to use the trigger participants added to the issue  and not "create issue"

Joel Bradley April 28, 2020

That doesn't look like an option in Service Desk Cloud. I was able to get it to work by having the trigger as Create Issue, and then using JQL to match the participant's field.

For some reason using the GUI to match participants wouldn't work.

Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2020

This is from Jira Servicdesk Cloud automation

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 13.39.09.png

Why does mine look so different?

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.43.45 AM.png

Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2020

Hi Joe  - you are using Project automation and not Servicedesk automation - that's why :-)

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 17.26.54.png

Thanks! This is so confusing! AFAI can tell, they do the same thing but Automation is more advanced?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events