Cloud Jira Disaster Recovery

Jada White February 27, 2018

Hello,

For my company wide disaster recovery policy, I previously had setup automated backup of all out critical services, including Jira on a weekly basis. A backup script would obtain the Jira backup via download and this would be encrypted & archived.

Since the recent redesign of Jira, obviously this has stopped working and needs some tweaking which leads me to my question; exactly what coverage is there for hosted Jira customers on the cloud in disaster scenarios? Or where can I find these specific details.

With the xml backup which you can download, its stated this is not so much intended as a Jira backup but more for migration purposes, and I guess intended more for non-hosted Jira setups.

I'm fine with any regular backup action off of the "cloud" being redundant, obviously its covered by SLA and I'm sure your extensive disaster recovery policy, but just after documentation regarding the type of coverage offered as a hosted Jira customer and would still like something offsite, that could be run monthly or quarterly etc. for peace of mind, so suggestions for such.

What is the best practices consensus in this situation?

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2018

Hi Jada,

I understand you are looking for information on backups as well as Disaster Recovery for your Jira Cloud instance. 

It is strongly recommended that you or your admins of the site take regular backups of your applications to prevent any accidental data loss. Per our Data storage policy|, Use of backup data to roll back changes to application data is not supported. What this means is if a user accidentally deletes something from the site, we are not able to restore this data, as this would be considered a FULL DELETION. However, if you contain a local backup, we can gladly provide you with the steps need to properly restore this data.

what coverage is there for hosted Jira customers on the cloud in disaster scenarios? Or where can I find these specific details.

Per our [Data storage policy|https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/data-storage-faq-873871367.html], _Point-in-time backups for your instance are taken every 24 hours for the purpose of disaster recovery. Backups are stored at a location separate from the data center. Use of backup data to roll back changes to application data is not supported. Backups are retained for seven days and then deleted. All backups are encrypted before being taken off-site.

If a critical application failure occurs, our top priority will be to have these applications back up and running in a timely fashion. At this time, we can not guarantee a specific time frame, but we can ensure you that our single most important priority would be to correct any issues keeping the platform down. We will always continue to post to our Atlassian Status page in the event of any error occurs and continue posting updates if needed.

I hope this information helps, and please feel free to let me know of any additional questions you may have.

Johnny Hermann December 9, 2021

Hi Atlassian, Is this still the latest official answer from Atlassian?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events