Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clinic Name field that needs to be a fixed list not a free text

Bhav October 6, 2018

Hi all

I have inherited a JIRA Service Desk Project.  The form has a Clinic Name field.  The names we enter in there are free text with browser based intellisense.  This means each support agent is typing in the same names differently.

I want to standardize this list so that the support agent is forced to select from the fixed list of clinics.

Also important, is that this field is not for user who are raising the ticket, it is only for support agent's use not for customers raising a ticket from the portal.

Please advise and pardon me for such a basic question but I am new to managing this project.

Awaiting feedback

Kind regards

Bhav

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hernan Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2018

You need to do a couple of steps for this, first you need to create a new custom field of type single select list, you can call it the same as the old one but I do suggest giving it a unique name so next steps are not confusing.

After creating the list field and adding the desired options, add it to the current screen scheme the project is using, normally the create screen and the edit / view screen are the same, you will need to see if they are different so you can add the field to the needed screens.

After this is done, you need to search for all existing issues with the old field not empty, export the list to a spreadsheet and then decide which values are going to be mapped to the new values if they are not the same, once you get the mapping done, do a search for each value to be changed and do a bulk edit, here you will change each of the values once, from old field to new list field, you will do this bulk change for each value that needs to be changed.

Once all bulk changes are done, you can go ahead and remove the old field from the screens so users will no longer have it and use only the new list field.

Remember that you will need a re-index after this change.

Take an XML backup before this change just in case.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Bhav November 7, 2019

Thanks Hernan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events