Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change status to Waiting for Customer

Robin Robin September 30, 2016

Just to clarify, I want to transition an issue to Waiting for Customer but I cannot see how to achieve this.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2016

Robin, based upon this question and others you recently posted you may be new to JIRA tools. I would highly recommend reviewing the documentation as it is well written and can quickly get you up and running.

You can navigate to any document from here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/alldoc/atlassian-documentation-32243719.html

With that said, for this specific question, assuming you have not change the default workflows and automation there are two ways to move an issue from "Waiting for Support" to "Waiting for Customer":

• click "Respond to Customer", add a comment and submit
  • simply by commenting on the issue (this is done via one of the default automations)

When the customer comments back then the issue transitions back to "Waiting for Support"

hope this helps.

Robin Robin October 2, 2016

Thanks Jack,

I'm not new at all to the JIRA and wider Atlassian toolset, but thanks for checking.

Respond to Customer did not change the status in my case.  I am admin, and at least one of the issues to which I "responded" was reported by another user (also an admin). 

Further, is it wise that merely commenting an issue reverts it to customer?  An Agent may investigate and write some partial findings...but perhaps those are an "internal" type of comment.  I will investigate further. 

Thanks, Robin.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2016

Robin, I hope my previous response was not taken poorly. I certainly didn't mean it but after re-reading it I was concerned. In any event back to the issue at hand.

Let's look into why, when you click "Respond to customer" it is not transitioning to "Waiting on customer". First, let me state the obvious. If the issue was reported by the person responding then it will not transition. At least it did not for me and I was scratching my head for some time on it. Doh! So I had one of the agents click respond and it worked fine. If that is not the case here then have a look at the workflow and ensure that the transition "Respond to customer" indeed is connected to the "Waiting on customer" status. Check the post function to ensure that one of the steps is "Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step." It certainly should be as that is default stuff. If you haven't edited the workflow then it certainly should work. I have never seen default transitions not work.

Regarding you question on is it wise that commenting reverts to customer, IMO no and that is specifically why I change the automation "transition on comment". This appears to be a default setup at least for the Basic help desk project type, or was for me. What I wanted was a way to add a comment and share w/ customer w/o transition and another to transition w/ a comment. The "Respond to customer" transition action certainly accomplished the latter. I change the automation to remove only the transition from "Waiting for support" to "Waiting for customer" leaving the reverse scenario in place as I did want it to automatically transition back to the agent if the customer commented.

Hope this helps!

Huseyin March 26, 2019

Hi, is there a straight forward way to change "Waiting for Support" to "Waiting for Customer" for someone like me, which is 'not so experienced but red the documentation and done a course at udemy on jira and just needs a solution'?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2019

@Huseyin , what do you mean? Are you saying you want an easier way to transition an issue than clicking a button? Or are you asking how to rename “waiting for support” to “waiting for customer”. The later would not make sense I expect.

Huseyin March 26, 2019

I just need to change the status from "Waiting for Support" to "Waiting for Customer".

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2019

Ok so where are you struggling w/ this. You can do this in many views simply by clicking a the status button or transition button. unsure what your view looks like but here is one of mine...

wait.jpg

you just need to know what your workflow looks like and the transition name to the "Waiting for customer" status.

Like Huseyin likes this
Huseyin March 27, 2019

Thanks Jack, that worked for me for now but i wonder if there is a way for doing that without giving any notification to customers.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2019

I would first ask why you would not want to let the customer know that you need input from them. The whole idea of "Waiting for customer" is that you need something from them so if you don't notify them then you are unlikely to get an answer and the issue will sit. Of course I don't know your use-case. With that said, you can certainly not create an event for that transition and thereby no one gets notified.

Huseyin March 27, 2019

In my case, i already talked with my customer on the phone and i did not want to produce a notification.

Like # people like this
Paul Gould July 31, 2019

Hi,

I have a similar/same situation as Huseyin across a number of tickets I have.  The status of the tickets is set to WAITING FOR SUPPORT however I have spoken/e-mailed my colleagues asking for a response (I am now waiting for them) therefore I need to set/change the status to WAITING FOR CUSTOMER, without sending a RESPOND TO CUSTOMER.

However, perhaps a workaround would be to RESPOND TO CUSTOMER with a generic status update message: Phoned and discussed progress on 29/07, awaiting response

Thanks, Paul

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2019

@Paul Gould , you could create a different transition (backdoor) to W4C and not have a generic event.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events