Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change issue status on user assignment.

Chris Wright April 25, 2016

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to automatically change the status of a service desk issue when someone assigns themselves to the issue?

1 answer

1 vote
Jim AMCI email April 25, 2016

I'm not an authority, but from what I've seen on these forums, if you host your own instance on your computer and are savvy with scripting languages, you can do that and almost anything else.

If you use the cloud-hosted solution, however, you can't make that kind of customization.

Regards,

Jim

Chris Wright April 25, 2016

Thank you for your response

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2016

Jim is right - you'd want a listener to pick up "issue edited" and transition the issue through the right transition.  Which you can't add to Cloud

What you could do is reverse it - have a workflow transition that sets the assignee to current-user, so when a user says "move to in progress", they don't have to think about assigning it to themselves.

Chris Wright April 26, 2016

Thanks but there are multiple members of the team so I just wanted the issue to simply move to the "working on it" status when anyone in the team assigns themselves to the issue.

Seems like a simple piece of logic that has been be implemented into Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2016

Nope, most people don't work that way, so Atlassian haven't implemented anything that can do it.  Hence the comments about listeners.

Chris Wright April 26, 2016

Where or how would I implement a listener to the project/issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2016

Listeners are global things, so your code would probably need to have "if project = X and issuetype = Y" type stuff in it (unless you really wanted this globally)

I'd use the script-runner to do this, but the other main (free) option is to write your own add-on to provide the function.  (Bear in mind what Jim said - this is server only)

roy kuperman March 13, 2019

Hi all,

Is there any news on this matter? I have the same need. For example: I need to transition from "Unassigned" to "In Progress" once a user is assigned to an issue. 

Thanks,

Roy

Mary Joycelyn Bunag June 6, 2021

Hi, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - I'm faced with the same requirement and we have a Scriptrunner installed. I'm new to Groovy scripting, can you help me how to implement it via Scriptrunner?

Update: Figured it out. Turns out "Listeners" are not the generic listener as I initially thought but there is s specific ScriptRunner Listener menu where I set the rule up via GUI. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events