Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change description two-dimensionally on Jira customer portal

Tim Straub August 29, 2019

Hi,

on customer portal there you have to fill the description for a new incident. This field is limited on width. You may only change the size vertically.

Is there any possibility to remove this limitation?

Regards

Tim

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2019

Hi Tim,

I understand that you are looking to adjust the width of the description field as it is found in the customer portal of Service Desk.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to customize this within Jira natively.   If the feature request of JSDSERVER-3768 - As a admin, I would like to add some CSS and JS into the customer portal was implemented in the future, then perhaps it would be possible to do.

However there are potentially a few different ways that you could customize this either external to Jira or with the use of a plugin.   There are a few suggestions on how you could implement your own custom CSS in the customer portal in an older Community thread such as https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-we-use-custom-css-for-Service-Desk/qaq-p/259802

There are plugins to Jira that can help you customize this in different ways.   That page suggests creating your own plugin to do this, however I believe that you could also use a plugin like scriptrunner (or possibly others found in Marketplace) per Customising the UI to make changes to the way this page is presented to end users.

In my own research into this specific change, I found that if you can find a way to inject some CSS changes, you could make these alterations to that page:

<style type="text/css">
.vp-form.aui.vp-request-form .textarea {max-width: unset;}
form.aui .textarea {box-sizing: unset; max-width: unset;}
</style>

I found these by using the developer tools in Chrome, and playing with the CSS there.  In my testing this by itself doesn't change that box width, but it does allow end users to stretch that box further to the right.

Sorry there is not a clear cut way to do this natively within Service Desk right now, but I hope this information helps.

Andy

Tim Straub September 3, 2019

@Andy Heinzer , thank you. Looks like the hard one has to be taken away.

Regards

Tim

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events