Capture Reporter with JIRA Service Desk Login-free Portal

Drew Nedderman January 24, 2018

I want to use the new JSD Widget on my website's pages. In order to do that, I need to enable the login-free portal functionality as instructed here

If I do this, how can I still capture the reporter's email address? I don't see a way to add a reporter field to a Customer Request Type.

- Drew Nedderman

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

Hi Drew,

Take a look at the Jira Service Desk document Configuring request types and workflows for an explanation of this behavior:

Hidden fields and unsupported fields

Each request type in a service desk is based on an issue type. Every issue type has a set of allowed (and possibly required) fields associated with it. As you set up the request type, you can choose to include fields that are hidden on the customer portal but still provide a value to assist with your internal processes and reporting. For example, you might want to set the value of the "Label" field as "hardware" for the "Request new hardware" request type, and set the value as "software" for the "Request new software" request type.

Some fields used by an issue type are not supported for use in the customer portal; if you include these fields on a request type, they will automatically be added to the Hidden fields with preset values section and you'll be required to set a value for them.

Other fields aren't supported for use in Jira Service Desk.

These fields can be added to the request type and given a preset value, but you cannot make them visible on the customer portal:

• Assignee
  • Linked issues
  • Any fields that are defined by other Jira applications
  • Group, project, and version picker custom fields

These types of fields can't be added to a request type and won't appear in the in the "Add a field" dialog:

• Issue type
  • Log work
  • Reporter
  • Security level
  • Time tracking

At this point this is expected behavior.  You can create a Suggestion to change this behavior on JAC.  If you do so please add your use case to the description and then post the link here so the Community can vote on the issue.  Hopefully that helps.

Edit:  Thanks @Drew Nedderman for creating JSDCLOUD-5927 to address this issue!

Cheers,

Branden

Drew Nedderman February 2, 2018

Hi Branden, thanks for the information. Once an issue is created with the login-free portal, is there a default user that is designated as the reporter?

If I created a custom field for email address, could I force the reporter to use that email address with a 3rd party app? I have Scriptrunner for Jira Cloud, could that be used to create a listener that will edit the reporter based on what email address is entered? 

Thank you for your help!

- Drew Nedderman

Drew Nedderman February 6, 2018

Hi Branden, I have created this Suggestion to implement the Reporter field.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2018

Hi Drew,

Thank yo for posting the link here.  I have added internal notes and voted on the issue too!

Cheers,

Branden

Drew Nedderman February 6, 2018

Thank you Branden. Do you want to leave this question open or should I accept the original answer?

- Drew Nedderman

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events