Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete a field that is required by Jira or Jira Service Desk

ianvanzyl May 19, 2018

Hi there

I have 3 x custom fields which were optional. I was asked to make them mandatory.

Went to the default Jira field configuration and changed the 3 fields to be "required".

Went to the request and editted the fields and made them "Hidden" but had to enter a default value which I did not want to do.

Went back to the default Jira field configuration and reset the 3 fields back to "optional".

Went back to the request type to edit the fields and I get the error message " Cannot delete a field that is required by Jira or Jira Service Desk" - see screenshot attached.

Now I cannot access the "edit fields" for any of my the requests. 

Please provide some guidance as I do not want to do a restore.

Thanks in advance.

image001.jpg

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2018

@ianvanzyl, I'm not absolutely sure I'm following you but let's see if we can figure this out.

First, I assume you want to make these fields required on the Portal so that your customers are required to enter a value for them when creating a ticket. Assuming this is correct, read on...

It sounds like maybe you made these fields required w/in the application rather than on the portal. That is, you went to custom fields and made them required. If my previous assumption is correct you do not want to do that. Rather you want to:

1. Remove the Required from where you set them to required previously.
  2. go to Project > Project settings > Request Types > Edit Fields and make the three Required on that screen. Repeat for every Request Type that has any of these custom fields.

You do NOT want them hidden since having them required and hiding them is a conflict. The reason you were prompted to provide a default value was because you made them required and hidden which means you must provide 'the' value. I'm pretty sure this isn't what you want. 

1 vote
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2018

Hi Ian,

I've been trying myself and I wasn't able to reproduce it by just changing the field from required to optional again. I was able to reproduce it when I removed one of the fields from the Default Screen linked to the Jira Service Desk project.

So the easiest way to resolve this would be to add the 3 fields to the Create Screen of the Jira Service Desk project.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

Richard Burstiner August 8, 2019

This was really helpful as I also got the "Cannot delete a field that is required by Jira or Jira Service Desk" error and had no idea why or what was missing.

Adding the fields back in the create screen made is to that I could update the JSD Request Type field again. In my case, I was now able to remove the fields from the JSD Request Type and then re-remove the field from the create screen.

0 votes
allison.ruby January 7, 2020

I had the same issue and this thread helped tremendously.

Scenario:

I had two custom fields with the same name (business unit). I needed to change the existing one (we'll call it business unit A) to the new one (and business unit B). 

As JIRA Admin, I didn't know business unit A was already set in the project as a required field. When I edited the service desk screen (removed business unit A and replaced with business unit B), the error occurred. 

I followed the instructions:

1. Add the original custom field to the screen
  2. In project settings>Requests>Edit Fields, I changed the old custom field to not required.
  3. I went back to the screen and added the new custom field (business unit B) back to the screen.
0 votes
ianvanzyl May 19, 2018

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I will try putting them back as mandatory and see if I can undo the problem that I created.

Will post my feedback on Monday.

ianvanzyl May 21, 2018

Thanks. It works as suggested.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events