Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create linked Jira Core issue from SD

Alexander Reum December 11, 2017

Hello,

we're currently evaluating "Jira Core" for internal project management and "Jira Service Desk" for customer support. Recently I came across the "linked issue" feature and was wondering if an SD agent could directly create a "Jira Core" issue that way.  Unfortunately, the "project" drop down in the "linked issue" creation dialog does not offer any "Jira Core" projects, although the applications are linked to each other (application AND project links), SD is sharing core's user database and the executing agent has permission to create and link issues in both SD's and core's projects.

So my questions are: Is it basically possible what I'm trying to do? From reading articles and posts I got the impression that it is. And if so, what could be the reason that it fails?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2017

The linking function you are looking for only works internally on a single integrated system.

You have installed two Jira systems - one Core and one Core + SD. 

You'll get the links you are looking for if you simply get rid of the unnecessary Core install and use the Core + SD one for everything.

Alexander Reum December 12, 2017

Nic,

thanks for clarifying. So if I have to separate the instances for some reason, I'm screwed.

But wait, this thread indicates that it works the intended way with "Jira Software" and SD:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Linking-service-desk-with-JIRA-projects/qaq-p/96835

So is it a special feature of JSW that a basic JC doesn't have?

Best wishes,
Alex

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

The conversation you have found is saying much the same thing - you get the full functionality of the linking when using a single Jira.  They're not talking about using two separate instances mostly (and when they are, it's about only getting the standard "remote link" functions)

Nic,

maybe it's not that clear to me as I thought. How can JSW and JSD be the same instance? (in terms of one single install with one database and one Java process)

I understand that a JSD install contains all JCore functionality, so a separate JCore is not necessary. I can create both SD and JCore projects inside SD and link their issues. It should be the same for JSW. So far, so good.

But there's no single install that contains both JSW and JSD as a single product, is it? At most I can install them as separate instances running on a single machine. The SD install manual indeed states that I should "place it on the same server where the JIRA Software is installed" to unleash SD's full potential. That's basically what I did (only with another JCore, not JSW).

Best wishes,
Alex

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2017

Jira Core is a platform, as well as a base issue tracker.  Software and Service Desk are applications that can be added to that platform.

You can download a Core, Software or SD installer, but, the second and third of those are only "Core with <application> pre-installed", and it's mildly annoying that there is no installer for all three together.

When the docs say "place it on the same server", they're not saying "install two Cores with different applications", they really do mean "install one Core with both applications"

The best route to installing all three is to use a Jira Software install and add Service Desk via admin -> manage applications.   It's just as easy to do JSD and add Software later, but I prefer Software first because it's more prone to upgrade issues than JSD.

Nic,

thanks a lot for this excellent explanation. Atlassian should really be more precise about this in their product descriptions. Or maybe I just didn't read carefully enough.

However, I'd really appreciate to have linked issues between instances. I guess it's not an uncommon practice to physically separate an SD server from the developers' issue tracker. Maybe I'll file a feature request to Atlassian for that.

Best wishes,
Alex

Like Pallavi Swamy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events