It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can you restrict access to a request type or issue type?

My organization wants the ability for internal employees who have Service Desk access to be able to create feature requests, but we do not want our customers to see this request type when they submit a request through their portal. Is this possible, and how do I set this up?

3 answers

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Mar 29, 2018

@Amy Dudek, just create a Request Type (call it "Feature") and hide from portal under the request types screen.

@JackThis solution will not work for us because our employees (service desk team) need to be able to submit feature requests on behalf of customers. Now when employees select the "raise request" button, they cannot see the feature request type.

Jack Community Leader Mar 29, 2018

given that detail I can only suggest that the Agents will need to change the type based upon say the summary or description. In other words, I believe this is going to need to be managed by your Agents not employees that are Customers.

@Jack - how do you select that request type to raise an issue on it then? IF its hidden from the portal?

Jack Community Leader May 24, 2018

@Angie Vonnahme, as my followup suggests it cannot be done from the portal if you hide from the portal. As an agent you generally don't work in the portal you work in the application itself where the request type can easily be changed via the drop down. Hope this makes sense. Or consider Matt's suggestion and not hide.

Yes, this is possible. You will need to create a security scheme with restrictions in place for specific Project Roles or Groups.

Refer -

For JIRA Cloud, https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-issue-level-security-776636711.html

For JIRA server, https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-issue-level-security-861253265.html

I tried this and it seems like you can only configure issue level security by project (all issue types in one project) and not by individual issue types within the project. Is this not correct?

@Amy Dudek yes, and unfortunately Atlassian had a unfulfilling response to this years ago. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-42116

0 votes

Name the request type "Feature Request (Internal)" and add a description why. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Desk

Tell us how you've implemented Change Management

Hello Community 👋, I'm a product manager at Atlassian, looking at improving change management capabilities across our products. In particular, we're looking at bridging the gap between Dev & ...

330 views 0 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you