Can we get a CC field in Service Desk responses?

Ravi October 13, 2014

My previous service desk had email integration in the responses. You were able to select a user or type an email address in both the To and CC fields. I find that this is lacking in JIRA Service Desk, and would like to find out if we can add that functionality.

In the environment I'm using Service Desk in, clients will often email in their tickets and CC relevant parties. If those parties are left out of the ticket or responses, then we can't ensure that all the right people have the latest information.

I've also installed CRM for JIRA, but I'm not sure that this will be useful in handling email tickets, or ticket responses.

2 answers

0 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2017
Rachael Bumb June 14, 2017

Hermance, 

While this is nice that the functionality is added for the Service Desk team, CC'd e-mails are still getting missed when added by client's initial email. 

For example:

1.A client emails SD from their e-mail, not via the portal, with 2 CC'd email addresses

2. Issue is created for the client email

3. All CC'd email addresses are dropped from request and only the TO sender (client) is displayed. 

This opens up the chance for missed communication from the SD team and the CC'd individuals.

Jake Sommer June 30, 2017

In a similar situation.
We have some SD's  that need to see who all are int he TO and CC field, but not automatically add them to the participants as large distribution groups are often times included in the CC. 

This is a major issue for our company.
Simply adding the TO/CC field info tot he description would solve this situation for us, but I can't see any way to do that.
Carole Wai Hai June 27, 2018

Do someone know if today June 2018, JETI is handling this problem, seems from their docu that you can add recipient as watcher and I guess that would solve this issue?

I have the similar case that I try tosolve so would love to have some first hand experience shared here:

https://metainf.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PLUG/pages/66093073/Mail+Handlers

Alan Zhang December 22, 2020

I am looking for this feature and found this post.

It is surprising this is such an old issue and after so many years it is still not resolved. 

0 votes
Joel Cumberland October 13, 2014

You can add Cc people to the watchers list via the mail handlers ... see here https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/142165 .. is this what your looking for?

Ravi October 13, 2014

This is a step in the right direction. What I don't get is how this affects the community portal. Can all watchers see the support ticket from their portal? Also, if the support desk is made public, does this mean that anyone CC'd can be added as a watcher, regardless of whether they are a registered member? I need emails coming in to include the sender and any CCs, and response going out to include all those same people too. I also need all of those people involved in a ticket to have visibility in the portal.

Joel Cumberland October 14, 2014

This is a step in the right direction. What I don't get is how this affects the community portal. Can all watchers see the support ticket from their portal?  So you want the Cc users to be able to access the service desk customer portal? or just to be notified on issue updates etc? Who are the Cc users .... service desk agents, external people or customers ?

Also, if the support desk is made public, does this mean that anyone CC'd can be added as a watcher, regardless of whether they are a registered member? No only registered users can be added. I believe if you have public signup enabled it will only create new users using the from address, not the Cc address. 

Note: I use the addon JETI to capture the Cc address and add this to a custom single text field .e.g "External Watchers", and then send notifications based on an event .e.g comment added and have JETI email users in that custom field.

More info about JETI can be found here http://www.meta-inf.hu/wiki/display/PLUG/JIRA+Email+This+Issue

Brandon Bowersox-Johnson November 20, 2014

Joel, I believe your suggestions work well in normal JIRA, but don't work as well with JIRA Service Desk. The JIRA Service Desk comes with its own Mail Handler (Service Desk Mail Handler). It does not have the functionality to capture CC addresses like JIRA's other built-in mail handlers. Other mail handlers, including JETI, do not work properly with the Service Desk because they don't know how to handle Customer accounts. For example, they don't have the ability to turn non-registered email addresses into a Service Desk Customer rather than a JIRA User. Those other mail handlers also do not know how to set the Service Desk Request Type field. JETI currently has a feature suggestion to add support for Service Desk: https://metainf.atlassian.net/browse/JETI-556 I am fully in agreement with Ravi's initial question. It would be excellent for the JIRA Service Desk product to add support for CC addresses. It should capture those addresses and continue to CC those people on the correspondence about that service desk ticket. If anyone else knows a work-around or different solution, please share.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events