Can i forward mail from my own adress to a configured POP-/IMAP-e-mail?

Arjen Koningkje April 24, 2019

Hi Atlassian,

Thanks for the response on my last ticket. I ran into another question while configuring service desk.

In our current situation, we have some project-managers who are also first in line when it comes to service requests. This sometimes results in the following flow:

customer@mail.com mails projectmanager->projectmanager responds with solution/planning

But, when projectmanager gets 150 supportrequests, he cannot respond to them all with a satisfying awnser. Therfore, the next flow is desireable:

customer@mail.com mails projectmanager->projectmanager forwards mail to support@mail.com (which is configured as incoming Mail Handler)->Jira support responds to customer@mail.com with a  notification that the ticket has been created.

Right now, i only got to te point that the projectmanager gets this respons from service desk. In my desired flow, the customer needs to get this automated responds. Is this possible? Hope to hear from you.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2019

Hi Arjen,

Yes, Service Desk can help here.  However it might depend on the version of Service Desk you have, and the settings of that project.  For the sake of my testing, I know this works in the latest 4.1.0 version of Service Desk, if you don't see these same settings in your version, please let me know what version you have here.

By default Service Desk projects tend to be restricted to prevent public sign up.  That can be a problem if the email address does not yet exist in Service Desk / Jira.  If this person doesn't have an account yet in Jira at that email address, and public sign up is disabled, then they won't get email notifications in this case.  Jira Service Desk can only send notifications to customers if they have an account first, and the service desk project permits it.

To first step is as a Jira admin, you need to navigate to the Cog Icon -> Applications -> under the Jira Service Desk  there is a link for Configuration.  You'll need to make sure that public sign up is enabled here first:

jsdemail1.png

Once you set that up, then click the Email requests just below that.  In this next screen you need to make sure that customer account creation is enabled.  

jsdemail2.png

Once you have done that, you then need to go into your project settings and check the customer permissions.  In my example I have the following settings:

customerpermissions1.png

With this configuration, I found that I could use a customer account to email the inbox address that Jira is checking and CC a new user that did not yet have an account in Jira.  In my test, both accounts will get a request created notification from service desk.  You could try to adjust the 'who can raise requests' to only users with accounts on the site, that might work if the new user already has an account in this Jira site, or is permitted to create one at least.

I know that older versions of Service Desk likely handled this use of the CC field differently in emails received.  So if you find that you can't configure your Service Desk like mine, please let me know what version you have here.

Thanks

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events